March 27, 2011
LOUISVILLE, Ky. -
The University of Louisville men's and women's track and field teams capped off the Alabama Relays in Tuscaloosa, Ala., at the Sam Bailey Track & Field Complex on Sunday by setting school records in two relay events.
"It was a good opening meet for us," coach Ron Mann says regarding the weekend. "We had solid performances and a number of winners in really good weather conditions. It's what we were looking for - getting to warm weather and preparing for the remainder of the outdoor season."
The men's 4x1,500m relay that placed first in a time of 16:00.55, which shattered the previous school record that was set in 2004 by nearly 14 seconds, was achieved by the quartet of Luke Lovelace, Mattias Wolter, Tyler Byrne and Matt Bruce. The group, which took first overall, beat out Louisville's second team, comprised of Matt Hughes, Ryan Eaton, Chris Wolfe and Gordon Dooley, which completed the race in 16:08.31.
The women's side set a school record in the 4x400m and competed in the 4x1,500m relay for the first time in school history. The short-distance sprint group of Chelsea Brown, Ahlivia Spencer, Rachel Gehret and Margret Harris placed third, clocking a time of 3:44.88, beating out the previous school-record time of 3:46.78, which was set in 2006. The 4x1,500m relay team, consisting of Kim Grieshaber, Monica Hernandez, Madie Davidson and Emily Borsare finished the race in 19:02.09 for a second-place showing.
"We're really building the sprints program," Mann says after the record-breaking performance in the women's 4x400m. "To set a school record so early in the process is a very good sign, and they're really coming together nicely."
Weston Banks and Josh Greenwald collected individual wins in their respective events. Banks took first in the shot put, with a mark of 17.50m/57-5, while Greenwald won the discus event following a throw of 51.04m/167-5, nearly three meters more than the runner-up. Greenwald competed in the hammer throw as well and took fourth on a toss of 53.44m/175-4.
Neil Angermeier also had a solid day in the field events, placing third in the high jump after clearing 2.03m/6-8.
On the women's side in the jumps group, Charachesicia Lockhart had the top team mark in the triple jump, with a leap of 11.46m/37-7.25.
Louisville will split squads next weekend, with the throws group heading to the Pepsi Florida Relays on Friday, April 1, in Gainesville, Fla., while the rest of the team travels north to the Purdue Mike Poehlein Invitational in West Lafayette, Ind., also on Friday, April 1.
For all of the latest information on Louisville cross country and track and field, log on to uoflsports.com, or, for up-to-the-minute updates, follow the team's Twitter account at www.twitter.com/louisvilletrack.
ALABAMA RELAYS (MARCH 25-27 | SAM BAILEY TRACK & FIELD COMPLEX)
Women's 4x100m Relay
4. Louisville `A' (Harris, Brown, Aldridge, Lockhart) - 47.40
Women's 4x400m Relay
3. Louisville `A' (Brown, Spencer, Gehret, Harris) - 3:44.88
7. Louisville `B' (Jackson, Richardson, Bruno, Stokes) - 3:55.44
Women's 4x1500m Relay
2. Louisville `A' (Grieshaber, Hernandez, Davidson, Borsare) - 19:02.09
Women's Triple Jump
5. Charachesicia Lockhart - 11.46m/37-7.25 (wind: 0.1)
12. Megan Schubert - 10.26m/33-8 (wind: 0.6)
13. Kim Cardeiro - 10.17m/33-4.5 (wind: +0.0)
15. Maggie Gilbertson - 9.74m/31-11.5 (wind: 0.7)
Men's 4x400m Relay
6. Louisville `A' (Frazier, Hobbs, Powell, Wolfe) - 3:23.83
Men's 4x1500m Relay
1. Louisville `A' (Lovelace, Wolter, Byrne, Bruce) - 16:00.55
2. Louisville `B' (Hughes, Eaton, Wolfe, Dooley) - 16:08.31
Men's High Jump
3. Neil Angermeier - 2.03m/6-8
Men's Shot Put
1. Weston Banks - 17.50m/57-5
1. Josh Greenwald - 51.04m/167-5
5. Weston Banks - 45.85m/150-5
Men's Hammer Throw
4. Josh Greenwald - 53.44m/175-4
5. Sam Bombaugh - 49.73m/163-2