March 17, 2012
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The University of Louisville track and field teams opened the 2012 outdoor season with three wins and five runner-up performances at the Bulls Invitational on Friday at the USF Track and Field Stadium in Tampa, Fla.
Sam Bombaugh captured the lone victory for the men, taking first in the hammer throw. He registered a personal-best and BIG EAST qualifying distance of 57.92m/190-0, nearly 10 feet better than his previous best. Brad Vivace also posted a league qualifying mark in the event, with a heave of 50.47m/165-7.
On the women's side, Khadija Abdullah led a 1-2-3 finish in the shot put, winning her season-opening competition with a toss of 16.21m/53-2.25. Amashi Kendall followed with a runner-up performance on the heels of a throw of 15.87m/52-1, and Chinwe Okoro took third with a mark of 15.02m/49-3.50. Each mark qualified for the league championships.
Okoro gave the Louisville women their second victory of the day, winning the discus with a throw of 52.03m/170-8 to lead another 1-2-3 finish. Abdullah took second (51.34m/168-5), and Kendall was third in the event (47.82m/156-11). Hannah Baker became the fourth Cardinal to qualify in the discus event for the BIG EAST Championships with her seventh-place finish.
Also in the throwing events, Jenna Wargo set a personal-best in the javelin, taking second with a mark of 45.44m/149-1.
Michelle Theophille, Megan Schubert and Malina Simmers each had strong performances in the jumping events. Theophille and Schubert finished second and third, respectively, in the high jump, while Simmers leapt to a second-place finish in the triple jump.
One of the team's top track performances came from the women's 4x400m relay team. The quartet of Hadassah Bruno
, Ahlivia Spencer
, Charachesicia Lockhart
and Gabrielle Jackson
raced to a fourth-place finish in 3:46.18, a time that ranks fourth in school history.
Mattias Wolter, competing in the 1,500m, took fifth on a league-qualifying time of 3:54.45. Luke Lovelace and Andrew Stewart took sixth and seventh, respectively, in the event. In the women's 1,500m section, Madie Davidson registered a ninth-place showing.
Jordon Frazier also had a notable season-opening performance, collecting a fifth-place finish in the 400m hurdles.
The Cardinals finished the day with 21 BIG EAST qualifying marks.
Louisville returns to action next week, heading to Tuscaloosa, Ala., for the Alabama Relays from March 23-24.
For all of the latest information on Louisville cross country and track and field, log on to UofLsports.com, or, for up-to-the-minute updates, follow the team's Twitter account at www.twitter.com/louisvilletrack.
BULLS INVITATIONAL (TAMPA, FLA. - USF TRACK & FIELD STADIUM)
Women's Hammer Throw
3. Patrice Gates - 54.94m/180-3 #
15. Hannah Baker - 43.07m/141-4
Men's Hammer Throw
1. Sam Bombaugh - 57.92m/190-0 #
12. Brad Vivace - 50.47m/165-7 #
Women's Long Jump
15. Kim Cardeiro - 5.19m/17-0.50
Men's Long Jump
10. Wesley Smith - 6.83m/22-5
Women's Triple Jump
2. Malina Simmers - 12.39m/40-7.75 (wind +2.6)
2. Jenna Wargo - 45.44m/149-1 #
16. Patrice Gates - 33.19m/108-11
Women's Shot Put
1. Khadija Abdullah - 16.21m/53-2.25 #
2. Amashi Kendall - 15.87m/52-1 #
3. Chinwe Okoro - 15.02m/49-3.50 #
Men's Shot Put
3. Brad Vivace - 15.64m/51-3.75 #
7. Sam Bombaugh - 15.17m/49-9.25 #
10. Isaac Bowling - 14.83m/48-8 #
11. Isaac Bowling - 43.81m/143-9
16. Andrew Nelson - 38.71m/127-0
1. Chinwe Okoro - 52.03m/170-8 #
2. Khadija Abdullah - 51.34m/168-5 #
3. Amashi Kendall - 47.82m/156-11 #
7. Hannah Baker - 41.76m/137-0 #
Women's High Jump
2. Michelle Theophille - 1.78m/5-10 #
3. Megan Schubert - 1.73m/5-8 #
t-4. Maggie Gilbertson - 1.68m/5-6 #
18. Kim Cardeiro - 1.58m/5-2.25
Men's High Jump
t-6. Taylor Caldwell - 1.95m/6-4.75
Women's 3,000m Steeplechase
3. Cassie Martin - 11:28.83
4. Megan Klein - 10:21.89
10. Ariel Briggs - 10:38.02
9. Madie Davidson - 4:39.61
28. Maria Frigo - 4:49.77
5. Mattias Wolter - 3:54.45 #
6. Luke Lovelace - 3:55.13 #
7. Andrew Stewart - 3:55.20 #
7. Gabrielle Jackson - 57.42
11. Marcellus Hobbs - 49.21
21. Emmanuel Matadi - 49.94
23. Calvin Arsenault - 50.42
12. Jordan Diaz - 2:18.01
Men's 400m Hurdles
5. Jordon Frazier - 53.16 #
11. Hadassah Bruno - 25.46
34. Kim Cardeiro - 27.83
39. Michael Edwards - 25.61
Women's 4x400m Relay
4. Louisville `A' (H. Bruno, A. Spencer, C. Lockhart, G. Jackson) - 3:46.18
Men's 4x400m Relay
5. Louisville `A' (J. Frazier, M. Hobbs, C. Arsenault, E. Matadi) - 3:16.56