March 16, 2013
NEW YORK - The University of Louisville track and field teams wrapped up day two of the Shamrock Invitational with 13 top-10 finishes in Doug Shaw Memorial Stadium in Myrtle Beach, S.C.
Throwers Patrice Gates and Caitlin Gilmore scored runner-up finishes in their respective hammer throw competitions, with Gates registering a mark of 57.00m/187-0. Though early in the season, the mark will likely rank in the top-10 nationally.
Freshman Brittany Owens and sophomore Megan Klein also had second-place showings in their respective events. Owens took runner-up in the long jump, while Klein raced to a second-place showing in the 3,000m steeplechase.
In the men’s long jump, freshman Jeron Brown registered a legal mark of 7.05m/23-1.75 to take fourth in the competition.
In addition to Klein, Louisville’s day on the track included a third-place finish by Andrew Stewart, Evan Hibbs, Luke Lovelace and Ernest Kibet in the 4x800m relay. Calvin Arsenault took sixth in the 110m hurdles with a time of 14.23, qualifying him for a spot in Saturday’s finals.
Also, newcomer Agnes Chepchumba
placed 10th in the women’s 5,000m.
On Friday, Sam Bombaugh led four top-10 finishes in the men’s hammer throw with his first victory of the season. He notched a career best 62.67m/205-7 for the first-place showing. Brad Vivace finished fifth.
Louisville returns to action for the final day of the Shamrock Invitational on Saturday at 9 a.m.
For the latest information on Louisville cross country and track and field, log on to GoCards.com, or, for up-to-the-minute updates, follow the team's Twitter account at www.twitter.com/uofltrackxc or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/uofltrackxc.
2013 SHAMROCK INVITATIONAL (DOUG SHAW MEMORIAL STADIUM - MYRTLE BEACH, S.C.)
Thursday, March 14
Men’s Hammer Throw
1. Sam Bombaugh - 62.67m/205-7
5. Brad Vivace - 59.32m/194-7
7. Nils Westrich - 57.86m/189-10
8. Sebastian Lenz - 57.00m/187-0
Friday, March 15
Women’s Invite Hammer Throw
2. Patrice Gates - 57.00m/187-0
3. Amashi Kendall - 55.86m/183-3
7. Rachel Serafin - 49.63m/162-10
8. Hannah Baker - 48.87m/160-4
Women’s Hammer Throw
2. Caitlin Gilmore - 48.51m/159-2
Women’s 100m Trials
49. Nitaya Walker - 12.85 (wind: -2.4)
105. Hannah Cox - 13.55 (wind: -2.4)
116. Brittany Owens - 13.72 (wind: -2.2)
120. Naadira Taylor - 13.79 (wind: -1.9)
Men’s 100m Trials
63. Michael Thompson - 11.58 (wind: -2.2)
Women’s High Jump
t-10. Kim Cardeiro - 1.60m/5-3
Men’s 4x800m Relay
3. Louisville ‘A’ (A. Stewart, E. Hibbs, L. Lovelace, E. Kibet) - 7:45.94
8. Louisville ‘A’ (M. Wolter, J. Kipkoech, M. Motill, T. Byrne) - 7:52.42
Women’s Long Jump
2. Brittany Owens - 5.71m/18-9 (wind: 1.0)
7. Kim Cardeiro - 5.44m/17-10.25 (wind: 0.1)
t-11. Naadira Taylor - 5.32m/17-5.50 (wind: 0.3)
t-11. Hannah Cox - 5.32m/17-5.50 (wind: 1.3)
Men’s Long Jump
4. Jeron Brown - 7.05m/23-1.75 (wind: 0.9)
t-17. Chrisjaan Smith - 6.64m/21-9.50 (wind: 1.0)
Men’s 110m Hurdles Trials
6. Calvin Arsenault - 14.23q (wind: 0.6)
Women’s Pole Vault
4. Chelsea Bingham - 3.50m/11-5.75
Women’s 3,000m Steeplechase
2. Megan Klein - 11:11.65
4. Cassie Martin - 11:19.17
10. Agnes Chepchumba - 17:36.94
27. Leah Kiyohara - 18:53.78