April 21, 2012
The No. 6 seeded University of Louisville women's tennis team ended its unlikely run in the BIG EAST Tennis Tournament but went down swinging splitting five singles positions before falling 4-0 to host and No. 2 seed South Florida Saturday afternoon in Tampa, Fla.
The Cardinals, buoyed by their upset of No. 3 Syracuse the day before, battled aggressively in the doubles competition before the Bulls took the point. Julia Fellerhoff and Mandy Brown fell with an 8-4 loss to USF's Ecaterina Vesenina and Lucie Rey. USF's Fanny Fracassi and Danielle Mills downed Cardinal seniors Amelia Harris and Sarah Miller 8-5 at No. 3. Rebecca Shine and Manuela Velasquez did not finish after the clinch according to BIG EAST format rules.
Down a point, the Cardinals went into singles with Mandy Brown falling first at No. 3 with a 6-2, 6-2 loss. Next Julia Fellerhoff stormed back after dropping the first set 6-0 to go into a tiebreaker with USF's Ecaterina Vasenina, only to fall 7-6 (6) in the second. U of L's Sarah Miller lost both her sets by a score of 7-6 (4) in tiebreakers.
USF wins 4-0 Results
1. Ecaterina Vasenina (USF) def. Julia Fellerhoff (UofL) 6-0, 7-6 (6)
3. Danielle Mills (USF) def. Mandy Brown (UofL) 6-2, 6-2
4. Manuela Velazquez (UofL) vs. Paula Montoya (USF) 7-5, 4-6, 3-0 DNF
5. Alessondra Bonte (USF) def. Sarah Miller (UofL) 7-6 (4), 7-6 (4)*
6. Amelia Harris (UofL) vs. Lucie Rey (USF) 7-6 (6), 2-6, 2-1 DNF
1. Ecaterina Vasenina/Lucie Rey (USF) def. Julia Fellerhoff/Mandy Brown (UofL) 8-4
2. Alessondra Bonte/Kate Parker (USF) vs. Rebecca Shine/Manuela Velasquez (UofL) 7-5 DNF
3. Fanny Fracassi/Danielle Mills (USF) def. Sarah Miller/Amelia Harris (UofL) 8-5 *
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 5*