April 19, 2012
No. 6 seed Louisville downed No. 11 seed Pittsburgh 4-0 on Thursday in the first round of the BIG EAST Women's Tennis Championship. The Cardinals will advance to play No. 3 seed Syracuse at noon on Friday.
"A great way to start the tournament," said U of L head coach Mark Beckham. "We were very efficient with how we played. We didn't spend any time on the court that wasn't necessary. It was a perfect preparation for tomorrow's match. Now we can concentrate on a very good Syracuse team. If we play well, we have a good chance of pulling off the upset. It will be a great match."
Louisville jumped out to an early lead in doubles play, earning wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 courts. Sophomore Rebecca Shine and freshman Manuela Velasquez only dropped one game in an 8-1 victory while seniors Amelia Harris and Sarah Miller won 8-3 to clinch the point for the Cardinals.
UofL lost only four game points in its next three singles matches to clinch the match and earn a 4-0 victory. Manuela Velasquez swept Pitt freshman Amanda Wickman 6-0, 6-0 while Sarah Miller beat Panther freshman Molly Wickman 6-0, 6-2. Louisville's Amelia Harris took a 6-1, 6-1 victory over sophomore Kimmy Borza to end the match.
The Cards move on to play No. 3 seed Syracuse Friday at noon at the Varsity Courts. Pittsburgh will play in the consolation bracket at 3 p.m. on Friday at the Varsity Courts.
1. Julia Fellerhoff (UofL) vs. Jocelyn Lu (Pitt) 6-4, 3-2 DNF
2. Rebecca Shine (UofL) vs. Gabrielle Catanzariti (Pitt) 6-2, 3-6 DNF
3. Mandy Brown (UofL) vs. Taylor Washington (Pitt) 6-2, 3-4 DNF
4. Manuela Velasquez (UofL) def. Amanda Wickman (Pitt) 6-0, 6-0
5. Sarah Miller (UofL) def. Molly Wickman (Pitt) 6-0, 6-2
6. Amelia Harris (UofL) def. Kimmy Borza (Pitt) 6-1, 6-1*
1. Julia Fellerhoff/Mandy Brown (UofL) vs. Jocelyn Lu/Taylor Washington (Pitt) 5-3 DNF
2. Rebecca Shine/Manuela Velasquez (UofL) def. Gabrielle Catanzariti/Kimmy Borza (Pitt) 8-1
3. Amelia Harris/Sarah Miller (UofL) def. Amanda Wickman/Molly Wickman (Pitt) 8-3*
Order of Finish: 4, 5, 6*