April 19, 2012
No. 6 seed Louisville downed No. 11 seed Pittsburgh 4-0 on Thursday in the first round of the BIG EAST Women's Tennis Championship. The Cardinals will advance to play No. 3 seed Syracuse at noon on Friday.
"A great way to start the tournament," said U of L head coach Mark Beckham. "We were very efficient with how we played. We didn't spend any time on the court that wasn't necessary. It was a perfect preparation for tomorrow's match. Now we can concentrate on a very good Syracuse team. If we play well, we have a good chance of pulling off the upset. It will be a great match."
Louisville jumped out to an early lead in doubles play, earning wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 courts. Sophomore Rebecca Shine and freshman Manuela Velasquez only dropped one game in an 8-1 victory while seniors Amelia Harris and Sarah Miller won 8-3 to clinch the point for the Cardinals.
UofL lost only four game points in its next three singles matches to clinch the match and earn a 4-0 victory. Manuela Velasquez swept Pitt freshman Amanda Wickman 6-0, 6-0 while Sarah Miller beat Panther freshman Molly Wickman 6-0, 6-2. Louisville's Amelia Harris took a 6-1, 6-1 victory over sophomore Kimmy Borza to end the match.
The Cards move on to play No. 3 seed Syracuse Friday at noon at the Varsity Courts. Pittsburgh will play in the consolation bracket at 3 p.m. on Friday at the Varsity Courts.
Results from all BIG EAST Tennis Championship action can be found at the BIG EAST Championship Central page.
1. Julia Fellerhoff (UofL) vs. Jocelyn Lu (Pitt) 6-4, 3-2 DNF
2. Rebecca Shine (UofL) vs. Gabrielle Catanzariti (Pitt) 6-2, 3-6 DNF
3. Mandy Brown (UofL) vs. Taylor Washington (Pitt) 6-2, 3-4 DNF
4. Manuela Velasquez (UofL) def. Amanda Wickman (Pitt) 6-0, 6-0
5. Sarah Miller (UofL) def. Molly Wickman (Pitt) 6-0, 6-2
6. Amelia Harris (UofL) def. Kimmy Borza (Pitt) 6-1, 6-1*
1. Julia Fellerhoff/Mandy Brown (UofL) vs. Jocelyn Lu/Taylor Washington
(Pitt) 5-3 DNF
2. Rebecca Shine/Manuela Velasquez (UofL) def. Gabrielle Catanzariti/Kimmy
Borza (Pitt) 8-1
3. Amelia Harris/Sarah Miller (UofL) def. Amanda Wickman/Molly Wickman (Pitt)
Order of Finish: 4, 5, 6*