Gabi Duncan and Sarah Miller
April 14, 2012
The University of Louisville women's tennis team beat the visiting Bearcats of Cincinnati 6-1 in BIG EAST tennis action Saturday afternoon at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
"This was good preparation for tomorrow's match against Notre Dame and the conference tournament. We need to get used to playing back to back matches because the conference championship is three days in a row of hard matches," said U of L head coach Mark Beckham. "I feel like we are as prepared as we can be. I am excited about the challenge of taking on the defending BIG EAST Champion Notre Dame."
The Cardinals took the doubles point, sweeping all three matches. The senior pair of Amelia Harris and Sarah Miller struck first rolling 8-1 at No. 2 over Kristina Georgieva and Safiyya Ismail. At No. 1, Mandy Brown and Julia Fellerhoff beat Jasmine Lee and Ashleigh Witte 8-3 to clinch the point. Stefanie Villajuan and Gabrielle Duncan made it a sweep with a 8-4 win over Sierra Sullivan and Carly Wilson.
In singles, Manuela Velasquez blanked Sierra Sullivan 6-0, 6-0 at No. 4. Next, Rebecca Shine won 6-2, 6-1 at No. 2. Amelia Harris clinched the match, scoring the fourth point with a 6-0, 6-0 win over Carly Wilson. Sarah Miller rolled 6-1, 6-0 over Safiyya Ismail and Julia Fellerhoff won at No. 1 with a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Jasmine Lee.
Tennis Match Results
Cincinnati vs University of Louisville
Apr 14, 2012 at Louisville, Ky.(Bass-Rudd Tennis Center)
University of Louisville 6, Cincinnati 1
1. Julia Fellerhoff (LOU) def. Jasmine Lee (CIN) 6-2, 6-3
2. Rebecca Shine (LOU) def. Kristina Georgieva (CIN) 6-2, 6-1
3. Ashleigh Witte (CIN) def. Mandy Brown (LOU) 4-6, 6-1, 10-6
4. Manuela Velasquez (LOU) def. Sierra Sullivan (CIN) 6-0, 6-0
5. Sarah Miller (LOU) def. Safiyya Ismail (CIN) 6-1, 6-0
6. Amelia Harris (LOU) def. Carly Wilson (CIN) 6-0, 6-0
1. Mandy Brown/Julia Fellerhoff (LOU) def. Jasmine Lee/Ashleigh Witte (CIN) 8-3
2. Amelia Harris/Sarah Miller (LOU) def. Kristina Georgieva/Safiyya Ismail (CIN) 8-1
3. Stefanie Villajuan/Gabrielle Duncan (LOU) def. Sierra Sullivan/Carly Wilson (CIN) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,2,6,5,1,3)