April 10, 2013
The University of Louisville women's tennis team dropped a close doubles point and then could win only three of six doubles as Marshall defeated the Cards 4-3 Wednesday at Brian David Fox Tennis Center in Huntington.
The Herd improved to 11-10 overall, while Louisville moved to 11-8.
"We just got outplayed in doubles and that turned out to be the deciding point," said U of L head coach Mark Beckham. "Marshall is a well-coached team and they had an answer for a lot of what we did. We could have won the match, but they played well on the big points. We have to put it behind us because we have the two most important matches of the year this season with conference matchups against Marquette on Saturday and DePaul on Sunday."
Louisville was swept in doubles by the Herd sweep in doubles as they won 8-5 over Julia Fellerhoff and Rebecca Shine at No. 1. The No. 2 pair of Stefanie Villajuan and Rebecca Bodine fell 8-2 to Maria Voscekova and Ellie Ball. Manuela Velasquez and Mandy Brown battled at No. 3 before falling 8-5.
First to fall in singles for the Cardinals was Stefanie Villajuan as Ellie Ball made quick work of her at No. 4 singles, racing to a 6-1, 6-2 win to give MU a 2-0 lead. However, the Cards countered when Manuela Velasquez handled Maria Voscekova 6-2, 6-2 at No. 3 (6-2, 6-2). Rebecca Bondine tied the match at two points apiece when she tood down Karlyn Timko at No. 6 (6-2, 6-2) to tie the match. The Herd bounced back when Dominika Zaprazna then responded with a 6-4, 6-2 win at No. 1 over Fellerhoff right before Kara Kucin rallied in the second set to record a 6-3, 7-5 win at No. 5 over Mandy Brown to clinch the victory.
Louisville's other point came at No. 2 when Rebecca Shine
won her first set before Dana Oppinger rebounded briefly but eventually fell 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 in three sets.
Tennis Match Results
Louisville vs Marshall
Apr 10, 2013 at
Marshall 4, Louisville 3
1. Dominika Zaprazna (MAR) def. Julia Fellerhoff (LOU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Rebecca Shine (LOU) def. Dana Oppinger (MAR) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
3. Manuela Velasquez (LOU) def. Maria Voscekova (MAR) 6-2, 6-2
4. Ellie Ball (MAR) def. Stefanie Villajuan (LOU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Kara Kucin (MAR) def. Mandy Brown (LOU) 6-3, 7-5
6. Rebecca Bodine (LOU) def. Karlyn Timko (MAR) 6-2, 6-2
1. Dominika Zaprazna/Kara Kucin (MAR) def. Julia Fellerhoff/Rebecca Shine (LOU) 8-5
2. Maria Voscekova/Ellie Ball (MAR) def. Stefanie Villajuan/Rebecca Bodine (LOU) 8-2
3. Karlyn Timko/Dana Oppinger (MAR) def. Manuela Velasquez/Mandy Brown (LOU) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,3,6,1,5,2)