April 8, 2012
The University of Louisville women's tennis team dropped the doubles point and fell in singles to the No. 26 ranked Tulsa Sunday morning at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. The Cardinals move to 10-8 and snap a five-match winning streak.
"We ran into a very good team today," said U of L head coach Mark Beckham. "Sometimes you have to give credit to your opponent for playing so well."
U of L fell in doubles when Ewa Szatkowski and Anastasia Erofeeva beat Amelia Harris and Gabrielle Duncan 8-1. Julia Fellerhoff and Sarah Miller fell 8-2 at No. 2. At No. 3, Manuela Velasquez and Rebecca Shine battled to a tiebreaker but fell 8-7 (6).
In singles, U of L was swept in two sets in all but the No. 1 slot. Julia Fellerhoff battled at No. 1 to three sets with Anastasia Erofeeva before falling 6-2, 1-6, 6-3.
"We've been on a bit of a hot streak and feel we've upped our level of play, so I am not going to let a loss to a highly ranked team get us down. We lost, but a loss like this absolutely makes us better. We are still excited for the next two weeks as we finish up the regular season and head into the BIG EAST, where we hope no one wants to face us," said Beckham.
Tennis Match Results
Tulsa vs University of Louisville
Apr 06, 2012 at Louisville, Ky.
(Bass-Rudd Tennis Center)
Tulsa 7, University of Louisville 0
1. Anastasia Erofeeva (TLS) def. Julia Fellerhoff (LOU) 6-3, 1-6, 6-3
2. Samantha Vickers (TLS) def. Rebecca Shine (LOU) 7-5, 6-1
3. Ewa Szatkowska (TLS) def. Mandy Brown
(LOU) 6-3, 6-0
4. Isaura Enrique (TLS) def. Manuela Velasquez (LOU) 7-5, 6-4
5. Michelle Farley (TLS) def. Sarah Miller (LOU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Maria Sant'Anna (TLS) def. Amelia Harris (LOU) 6-3, 7-5
1. Ewa Szatkowska/Anastasia Erofeeva (TLS) def. Amelia Harris/Gabrielle Duncan
2. Samantha Vickers/Isaura Enrique (TLS) def. Julia Fellerhoff/Sarah Miller (LOU) 8-
3. Michelle Farley/Maria Sant'Anna (TLS) def. Manuela Velasquez/Rebecca Shine (LOU)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,2,5,6,4,1)