April 6, 2012
The University of Louisville women's tennis team took the doubles point and then emerged from a hard fought singles battles with three wins to beat No. 72-ranked Marshall Friday afternoon at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. The Cards improve to 10-7 and are on a five-match streak.
"That was one of the most bizarre matches, I have experienced. There were so many ups and downs," said U of L head coach Mark Beckham. "But that is what college tennis is all about. We have been on the wrong side of a few 4-3 matches so it feels really, really good not just to win 4-3 but to also get our first win over a nationally ranked team in a while."
In doubles, Manuela Velasquez and Rebecca Shine rolled 8-2 at No. 3 over Karlyn Timko and Kristina Koprcina. After the Cards fell at No. 2, the No. 1 doubles team of Amelia Harris and Gabrielle Duncan won 8-2 to clinch the point.
In singles, U of L's Rebecca Shine dispatched Maria Voscekova 6-2, 6-3 to put the Cards up 2-0. Marshall fought back, winning at both second and third singles to tie. Amelia Harris put the Cards up 3-2, with a 7-6, 6-1 win at No. 6 over Karlyn Timko. The match was clinched by Sarah Miller's gutty comeback at No. 5 when she beat Kristina Koprcina 3-6, 7-6, 6-1.
"I give a lot of credit to Sarah Miller, she felt terrible in one of our 4-3 matches losses when she was the last match on the court and didn't win. She couldn't wait to have the opportunity again and stepped up big time for us."
The Cardinals take on nationally ranked Tulsa on Sunday at 10 a.m. at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
Tennis Match Results
Marshall vs University of Louisville
Apr 06, 2012 at Louisville, Ky.
(Bass Rudd Tennis Center)
University of Louisville 4, Marshall 3
1. Dominika Zaprazna (MAR) def. Julia Fellerhoff (LOU) 6-7, 6-2, 6-3
2. Rebecca Shine (LOU) def. Maria Voscekova (MAR) 6-2, 6-3
3. Ellie Ball (MAR) def. Manuela Velasquez (LOU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Kara Kucin (MAR) def. Gabrielle Duncan (LOU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Sarah Miller (LOU) def. Kristina Koprcina (MAR) 3-6, 7-6, 6-1
6. Amelia Harris (LOU) def. Karlyn Timko (MAR) 7-6, 6-1
1. Amelia Harris/Gabrielle Duncan (LOU) def. Maria Voscekova/Ellie Ball (MAR) 8-2
2. Kara Kucin/Dominika Zaprazna (MAR) def. Julia Fellerhoff/Sarah Miller (LOU) 8-4
3. Manuela Velasquez/Rebecca Shine (LOU) def. Karlyn Timko/Kristina Koprcina (MAR) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,3,4,6,5,1)