March 31, 2013
The University of Louisville took the doubles point and then four singles matches to down North Texas 5-2 in women's tennis action Sunday afternoon at the Bass Rudd Tennis Center.
"That was an excellent win today. North Texas will be challenging for an NCAA spot and one of the favorites to win their conference," said U of L head coach Mark Beckham. "So for us to get a high quality win like this shows us were we are at and what we are capable of. If we continue having great practices like this week for the rest of the season, we should be able to play and beat anybody else left on our schedule."
Rebecca Shine and Julia Fellerhoff made quick work of Valentine Starkova and Barbora Vykydalova, rolling 8-0 at No. 1. The No. 2 pair of Becky Bodine and Stefanie Villajuan beat Kseniya Bardabush and Franziska Sprinkmeyer 8-2. The No. 3 pair of Mandy Brown and Manuela Velasquez did not finish after the doubles point had been clinched.
In singles, Fellerhoff continued her winning momentum with a 6-0, 6-3 win at No. 1 over Bardabush. Shine finished off Barbora Vykydalova next at No. 2 with a 6-4, 6-1 victory. Manuela Velasquez clinched the match with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Valentina Starkova 6-3, 6-2 at No. 3. Mandy Brown picked up an insurance point with the 6-2, 7-6 win over Ilona Serchenko at No. 5.
The Cards hit the road for a match at Tulsa April 5 and against Houston at a neutral site on April 6.
Tennis Match Results
North Texas vs University of Louisville
Mar 31, 2013 at Louisville, Ky.
(Bass-Rudd Tennis Center)
University of Louisville 5, North Texas 2
1. Julia Fellerhoff (LOU) def. Kseniya Bardabush (NT) 6-0, 6-3
2. Rebecca Shine (LOU) def. Barbora Vykydalova (NT) 6-4, 6-1
3. Manuela Velasquez (LOU) def. Valentina Starkova (NT) 6-3, 6-2
4. Franziska Sprinkmeye (NT) def. Stefanie Villajuan (LOU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Mandy Brown (LOU) def. Ilona Serchenko (NT) 6-2, 7-6
6. Agustina Valenzuela (NT) def. Becky Bodine (LOU) 7-6 (8) def.
1. Rebecca Shine/Julia Fellerhoff (LOU) def. Valentina Starkova/Barbora Vykydalova (NT) 8-0
2. Becky Bodine/Stefanie Villajuan (LOU) def. Kseniya Bardabush/Franziska Sprinkmeye (NT) 8-2
3. Mandy Brown/Manuela Velasquez (LOU) def. Ilona Serchenko/Dane Joubert (NT) 5-5 dnf
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (1,2,3,4,6,5)