March 25, 2012
Box Score |
The University of Louisville women's tennis team defeated Eastern Michigan 6-1 Sunday afternoon at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. After taking the doubles point, the Cards took five of the 6 singles matches for the third win in row.
"We have now won three matches in a row which we have not been able to do so far this season. So we have built momentum and we are playing better, not because we are winning, just because we are playing better tennis," said UofL head coach Mark Beckham. "Now we need to take this momentum and see if we can play even better against conference rival Marquette next weekend."
The Cardinals started off the match by winning the doubles point. First to finish was the duo of Sarah Miller and Julia Fellerhoff who defeated EMU's Daphne Friedrichs and Marcela Rivero 8-3 at No. 3. Freshman Manuela Velasquez and Sophomore Rebecca Shine teamed up at the two spot to clinch the doubles point in an 8-4 winning effort. At No. 1 Seniors Gabrielle Duncan and Amelia Harris fell 8-4 to Miriam Westerink and Nino Mebuke.
In singles, Rebecca Shine was the first to win for Cards with a solid 6-1, 6-1 victory at No.2. Manuela Velasquez moved the team score to 3-0 with 6-2, 6-2 victory in the four spot. Clinching the victory for the Cardinals at No.1 was Julia Fellerhoff who defeated Nino Mebuke 6-3, 6-2. Mandy Brown notched a 7-6(2), 6-0 win at No. 3 and Amelia Harris won at No. 5, 6-2, 6-3.
Next on the schedule, the Cards will travel to Milwaukee to face BIG EAST foe Marquette April 1st at 11 a.m.
Tennis Match Results
Eastern Michigan vs University of Louisville
Mar 25, 2012 at Bass-Rudd Tennis Center
University of Louisville 6, Eastern Michigan 1
1. Julia Fellerhoff (LOU) def. Nino Mebuke (EMU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Rebecca Shine (LOU) def. Miriam Westerink (EMU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Mandy Brown (LOU) def. Ankita Bhatia (EMU) 7-6(2), 6-0
4. Manuela Velasquez (LOU) def. Daphne Friedrichs (EMU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Amelia Harris (LOU) def. Mariya Toncheva (EMU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Marcela Rivero (EMU) def. Sarah Miller (LOU) 2-6, 6-3, 11-9
1. Miriam Westerink/Nino Mebuke (EMU) def. Gabrielle Duncan/Amelia Harris (LOU) 8-4
2. Manuela Velasquez/Rebecca Shine (LOU) def. Mariya Toncheva/G. de'Lisle-Tarr (EMU) 8-2
3. Sarah Miller/Julia Fellerhoff (LOU) def. Daphne Friedrichs/Marcela Rivero (EMU) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,4,1,3,5,6)