March 21, 2014
The No. 48-ranked University of Memphis women's tennis team extended its school record home match winning streak to 38 with 5-2 win over the No. 60-ranked University of Louisville in an American Athletic Conference match at The Racquet Club of Memphis.
'' This is a tough one to take, we created so many opportunities to take control of the match or at least create major pressure on Memphis," said U of L head coach Mark Beckham. "It seemed like we lost all of the points that could have changed the outcome of the match. I have to give Memphis a lot of credit for stepping up in those moments. We competed well but this is a tough loss. I do think we can get better from this loss and I still think we are one of the teams that can win our conference championship.''
Louisville moves to 9-3 with the loss and Memphis improves to 11-6.
U of L scored with wins at No. 2 singles when Rebecca Shine handled Stefanie Mikesz 6-1, 6-3. The other tally came at No. 6, where Rebecca Bodine outlasted Alyssa Hibberd 7-5, 3-6, 10-8.
U of L doubles partners Julia Fellerhoff and Elle Stokes pulled out their match at No. 2 doubles with an 8-6 win over Stefanie Mikesz and Anki Wind.
#48 Memphis 5, #60 Louisville 2
Mar 21, 2014 at Memphis, Tenn. (The Racquet Club of Memphis)
1. Skylar Kuykendall (MEM) def. Julia Fellerhoff (LOU) 7-6 (7-2), 6-4
2. Rebecca Shine (LOU) def. Stefanie Mikesz (MEM) 6-1, 6-3
3. Caroline Wegner (MEM) def. Manuela Velasquez (LOU) 7-6 (9-7), 6-4
4. Anki Wind (MEM) def. Elle Stokes (LOU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Marta Morga (MEM) def. Cassie Pough (LOU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Becky Bodine (LOU) def. Alyssa Hibberd (MEM) 7-5, 3-6, 1-0 (10-8)
1. Liza Tymchenko/Marta Morga (MEM) def. Rebecca Shine/Manuela Velasquez (LOU) 8-6
2. Julia Fellerhoff/Elle Stokes (LOU) def. Stefanie Mikesz/Anki Wind (MEM) 8-6
3. Alyssa Hibberd/Skylar Kuykendall (MEM) def. Cassie Pough/Olivia Boesing (LOU) 8-2
Louisville 9-2; National ranking #60
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,4,2,1,6,3)
Memphis extends home win streak to 38 matches