March 3, 2012
The University of Louisville women's tennis team dropped the doubles point, rebounded with wins at the top three slots, only to lose two 3-set matches lower in the lineup to fall 4-3 to Miami of Ohio Saturday afternoon in Hamilton, Ohio.
"Our doubles play is hurting us right now," said U of L head coach Mark Beckham. "We are not having any momentum going into the singles when we are playing these teams that are as talented as us. We've got to start putting pressure on teams by winning some doubles points, because we are good enough to find three singles points against most of the teams on our schedule. Once we get it figured out, we will be able to go on a run, winning multiple matches in a row."
The Cardinals got just one win in doubles, when Julia Fellerhoff and Sarah Miller combined for an 8-6 win over Christine Guerrazzi and Riekie Honiball.
Down 1-0, U of L got its first point when Manuela Velasquez beat Nimisha Mohan 6-4, 6-1 at No. 3. Gabrielle Duncan fell for the Cardinals at No. 5 bowing to Alix Thurman 7-5, 6-0. Rebecca Shine came back to tie the match at two with a 6-1, 1-6, 6-2 win over Riekie Honiball at the No. 2 slot. At No. 4, U of L's Mandy Brown was unable to hold on, falling 6-2, 7-6 (7-4) to Christiana Raymond to give Miami 3-2 edge. The Cardinals tied the match at three with a 6-4, 7-6 (12-14) win at No. 1 by Julia Fellerhoff. Senior Sarah Miller took her first set at No. 6 before falling 3-6 in the second and then 6-4 in the third as Christine Guerrazzi clinched the match for the Redhawks.
Tennis Match Results
Miami vs Louisville
Mar 03, 2012 at Hamilton, Ohio
(Riverside Racquet Club)
Miami 4, Louisville 3
1. Julia Fellerhoff
(LOU) def. Stephanie Danesis (MIAMI) 6-4, 6-7 (12-14), 6-0
2. Rebecca Shine (LOU) def. Riekie Honiball (MIAMI) 6-1, 1-6, 6-2
3. Manuela Velasquez (LOU) def. Nimisha Mohan (MIAMI) 6-4, 6-1
4. Christiana Raymond (MIAMI) def. Mandy Brown (LOU) 6-2, 7-6 (7-4)
5. Alix Thurman (MIAMI) def. Gabrielle Duncan (LOU) 7-5, 6-0
6. Christine Guerrazzi (MIAMI) def. Sarah Miller (LOU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
1. Stephanie Danesis/Alix Thurman (MIAMI) def. Amelia Harris/Manuela Velasquez
2. Julia Fellerhoff/Sarah Miller (LOU) def. Christine Guerrazzi/Riekie Honiball (MIAMI) 8-6
3. Nimisha Mohan/Christiana Raymond (MIAMI) def. Rebecca Shine/Stefanie Villajuan (LOU) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,5,2,4,1,6)
Official: Steve Peterson T-3:25 A-42