Feb. 25, 2012
LOUISVILLE, Ky. -
The University of Louisville Women's tennis team swept Toledo 7-0 Saturday afternoon at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. The victory moves the Cardinals record to 4-2 at home and 5-5 overall.
"I think we played well today," said U of L head coach Mark Beckham. "Coming off of a tough 4-3 loss to Ohio State, you never quite know how they will respond in the next match. We played better doubles which is good to see because that's going to be the difference maker in a lot of our future matches. Our singles play was very good again today."
In doubles, the duo of Stefanie Villajuan and Amelia Harris cruised a win at No. 2 winning 8-2 over Toledo's Chrissy Coffman and Pia Rygh. The victory at No. 2 clinched the doubles point for the Cardinals after they won the No. 3 doubles match by default. In a closely contested match at the No. 1 spot, Sarah Miller and Julia Fellerhoff wrapped up doubles action with an 8-6 win over Kelsey Anonsen and Lexy Pitt.
The Cardinals started singles with a default in at the six-spot. Sophomore Rebecca Shine quickly added to the lead with a 6-1, 6-0 decision over Rygh at No. 2. Mandy Brown clinched the match at No. 3 for the Cardinals with a 6-0, 6-2 win over Coffman. Julia Fellerhoff made the score 4-0 with a tough 6-4, 6-4 match at the top seed. Gabrielle Duncan added another point with a 6-1, 7-6 victory over Amanda Border at the five-spot. Wrapping up the match for the Cardinals was Miller who battled to a 7-6 (5), 7-6 (3) win over Pitt at No. 4.
The Cardinals will return to action next Saturday, March 3 when they travel to Oxford, Ohio to take on Miami (Ohio).
Louisville 6, Toledo 0
Feb 25, 2012
Bass-Rudd Tennis Center
1. Julia Fellerhoff (UOFL) def. Kelsey Anonsen (TOL) 6-4, 6-4
2. Rebecca Shine (UOFL) def. Pia Rygh (TOL) 6-1, 6-0
3. Mandy Brown (UOFL) def. Chrissy Coffman (TOL) 6-0, 6-2
4. Sarah Miller (UOFL) def. Lexy Pitt (TOL) 7-6, 7-6
5. Gabrielle Duncan (UOFL) def. Amanda Border (TOL) 6-1, 7-6
1. Julia Fellerhoff/Sarah Miller (UOFL) def. Kelsey Anonsen/Lexy Pitt (TOL) 8-6
2. Amelia Harris/Stefanie Villajuan (UOFL) def. Chrissy Coffman/Pia Rygh (TOL) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (2,3,1,5,4)