Feb. 22, 2012
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - -
The University of Louisville women's tennis team fell 4-3 to visiting Ohio State Wednesday afternoon at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
"This was a disappointing loss - another tight one," said U of L head coach Mark Beckham. "We're getting so close with these really good teams. I felt like we weren't quite as sharp as we could have been today. If we can clean up a few things and execute a little bit better, we can come out on the right side of these tough 4-3 matches. I have a pretty good feeling that we're going to see a few more of these and I want us to start getting our wins."
The 64th ranked Buckeyes (4-5) swept the doubles matches to take an early lead. Fridan Manashirova and Gabby Steele defeated Louisville's Mandy Brown and Julia Fellerhoff 8-2 at the three-spot. Tight matches on courts two and three resulted in an 8-6 win for OSU's Noelle Malley and Kelsey Haviland over Sarah Miller and Rebecca Shine at No. 2 and an 8-5 decision for Kara Cecil and Kelsey Dieters over Manuela Velasquez and Amelia Harris at No. 3.
Ohio State registered three straight singles win on courts two, five and three to clinch the match. The Cards picked up their first point at No. 6 where Sarah Miller topped Tiffany Dittmer 6-4, 6-3. Julia Fellerhoff followed with a 4-6, 6-3, 10-5 decision at the top seed. Manuela Velasquez closed out the match by beating Dieters 7-5, 6-4 at the four-spot.
The Cardinals (4-5) will return to action on Saturday at 1 p.m. when they play host to Toledo.
#64 Ohio State 4, Louisville 3
Feb. 22, 2012 at Bass-Rudd Tennis Center
1. Julia Fellerhoff (UOFL) d. Kara Cecil (OSU) 4-6, 6-3, 10-5
2. #123 Fidan Manashirova (OSU) d. Rebecca Shine (UOFL) 6-3, 6-3
3. Kelsey Haviland (OSU) d. Mandy Brown (UOFL) 6-4, 6-2
4. Manuela Velasquez (UOFL) d. Kelsey Dieters (OSU) 7-5, 6-4
5. Gabby Steele (OSU) d. Amelia Harris (UOFL) 6-2, 6-4
6. Sarah Miller (UOFL) d. Tiffany Dittmer (OSU) 6-4, 6-3
1. Kara Cecil/Kelsey Dieters (OSU) d. Manuela Velasquez/Amelia Harris (UOFL) 8-5
2. Noelle Malley/Kelsey Haviland (OSU) d. Sarah Miller/Rebecca Shine (UOFL) 8-6
3. Fidan Manashirova/Gabby Steele (OSU) d. Mandy Brown/Julia Fellerhoff (UOFL) 8-2
Ohio State 4-5; National ranking #64
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,5,3,6,1)