Feb. 14, 2014
The University of Louisville women's tennis team took the doubles points and then outlasted host Wisconsin in the singles competition that featured four 3-set matches for a 5-2 win Friday night in Madison at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium.
"We found a way to win today and didn't play as well as we could but most of it was because of Wisconsin. They were ready to beat us today and made us uncomfortable the whole day in singles," said U of L head coach Mark Beckham. "Manuela was our MVP today, she played really well in singles and doubles. She did everything she could to keep us from losing. It's great to see because she is just getting back from surgery. We found a way today. These are the types of matches we would lose in the past. So it was good to see us get a win."
Manuela Velasquez and Rebecca Shine won No .1 doubles with an 8-1 win over Lauren Birch and Sydney Rider. Olivia Boesing and Julia Fellerhoff clinched the point with an 8-2 win over Lauren Chypyha and Becca Bailey.
In singles, Elle Stokes clinched the match with a 6-1, 2-6, 6-1 win at No. 6 over Becca Bailey. U of L also got wins from Julia Fellerhoff at No.2 when she outlasted Lauren Birch 4-6, 6-2, 6-2. Manuela Velasquez had a tenacious win with a 6-3, 2-6, 7-6 (7-3) victory at No. 3. At No. 4, Cassie Pough won 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 over Sydney Rider.
U of L improves to 5-2 and will face Dartmouth tomorrow in a neutral site match.
Tennis Match Results
Louisville vs Wisconsin
Feb 14, 2014 at Madison, Wis.
(Nielsen Tennis Stadium)
#63 Louisville 5, Wisconsin 2
1. Lauren Chypyha (WIS) def. #89 Rebecca Shine (LOU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Julia Fellerhoff (LOU) def. Lauren Burich (WIS) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
3. Manuela Velasquez (LOU) def. Anastasia Tripolskay (WIS) 6-3, 2-6, 7-6 (7-3)
4. Cassie Pough (LOU) def. Sydney Rider (WIS) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
5. Nova Patel (WIS) def. Becky Bodine (LOU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Elle Stokes (LOU) def. Becca Bailey (WIS) 6-1, 2-6, 6-1
1. Rebecca Shine/Manuela Velasquez (LOU) def. Lauren Burich/Sydney Rider (WIS) 8-1
2. Olivia Boesing/Julia Fellerhoff (LOU) def. Lauren Chypyha/Becca Bailey (WIS) 8-2
3. Nova Patel/Anastasia Tripolskay (WIS) def. Elle Stokes/Becky Bodine (LOU) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (5,1,2,6,3,4)