Feb. 9, 2014
The University of Louisville women's tennis team took the doubles points and swept singles for a 7-0 over the American Athletic Conference foe Cincinnati Sunday afternoon at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
"We came out a little tight and I am not sure why but we managed to get through it. It actually helped us in singles," said U of L head coach Mark Beckham. "We legitimately could have lost the doubles point but found a way to win it. That got their attention in singles and we came out and dominated them. Overall it was a good performance for us."
U of L's Elle Stokes and Becky Bodine had the first win in doubles, prevailing 8-3 over Sierra Sullivan and Katya Bure at No. 3. Rebecca Shine and Manuela Velasquez clinched the doubles point with an 8-6 win over Kelly Poggensee-Wei and Caitlin O'Gara.
Elle Stokes scored the first singles point with a 6-0, 6-0 blanking of Laura Bellinger at No. 5. Rebecca Shine gave U of L a 3-0 lead with a 6-0, 6-1 win over Caitlin O'Gara at No. 2. Manuela Velasquez clinched the match with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Katya Bure at No. 4. Elle Stokes, Becky Bodine and Julia Fellerhoff added the final three points for the sweep.
The Cards improve to 4-2 for the dual season and head to Madison this weekend where they will face Wisconsin on Feb. 14 and Dartmouth on Feb. 15.
Tennis Match Results
Cincinnati vs Louisville
Feb 09, 2014 at Louisville, Ky.
(Bass-Rudd Tennis Center)
Louisville 7, Cincinnati 0
1. Julia Fellerhoff (LOU) def. Kelly Poggensee-Wei (UC) 7-5, 6-1
2. Rebecca Shine (LOU) def. Caitlin O'Gara (UC) 6-0, 6-1
3. Cassie Pough (LOU) def. Ashleigh Witte (UC) 6-4, 6-2
4. Manuela Velasquez (LOU) def. Katya Bure (UC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Elle Stokes (LOU) def. Laura Bellinger (UC) 6-0, 6-0
6. Becky Bodine (LOU) def. Hannah Wille (UC) 6-1, 6-0
1. Rebecca Shine/Manuela Velasquez (LOU) def. Kelly Poggensee-Wei/Caitlin O'Gara (UC) 8-5
2. Ashleigh Witte/Laura Bellinger (UC) def. Julia Fellerhoff/Olivia Boesing (LOU) 8-6
3. Elle Stokes/Becky Bodine (LOU) def. Sierra Sullivan/Katya Bure (UC) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,2,4,6,3,1)