Feb. 8, 2014
The University of Louisville women's tennis team took the doubles point and then five of six singles matches to beat visiting Evansville 6-1 Saturday afternoon at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
No. 65 ranked U of L moves to 3-2 on the season and the Aces drop to 0-4.
"Today we got better as a team and I was pleased the way we came out in doubles and took it to them," said U of L head coach Mark Beckham. "We need to play with a little more energy and enthusiasm if we are going to continue to progress and be a championship team. I feel that everyone is progressing and this team is on track to do great things."
In doubles, the No. 3 pair of Cassie Pough and Olivia Boesing won 6-1 over Andjela Brguljan for the first win. Manuela Velasquez and Elle Stokes won 6-2 over Marketa Trousilova and Mina Milovic at No. 3 to clinch. The #2 ranked doubles pair of Rebecca Shine and Julia Fellerhoff outlasted Natasha James and Kelsey Costales at No. 1 for a 6-3 win.
Rebecca Shine won the first point in singles at No. 2, beating Natasha James 6-2 , 6-0. The next point came from Elle Stokes who rolled 6-3, 6-2 over Andjela Brguljan at No. 4. Freshman Olivia Boesing, of Floyd Knobs, Ind. clinched the match with a 6-3, 6-1 win at No. 6 over Kesley Costales. U of L's Becky Bodine added an insurance point at No. 5 with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Mina Milovic. Julia Fellerhoff held off Marketa Trousilova 6-4, 6-4 at No. 1 for the win and the final Cardinal point.
The Cards play AAC foe Cincinnati tomorrow at 2 p.m. in the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
Tennis Match Results
University of Evansville vs Louisville
Feb 08, 2014 at Louisville, Ky.
(Bass-Rudd Tennis Center)
#65 Louisville 6, University of Evansville 1
1. Julia Fellerhoff (LOU) def. Trousilova, Marketa (UE) 6-4, 6-4
2. Rebecca Shine (LOU) def. James, Natasha (UE) 6-2, 6-1
3. Moreno, Marina (UE) def. Cassie Pough (LOU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Elle Stokes (LOU) def. Brguljan, Andjela (UE) 6-3, 6-2
5. Becky Bodine (LOU) def. Milovic, Mina (UE) 6-1, 6-0
6. Olivia Boesing (LOU) def. Costales, Kelsey (UE) 6-3, 6-1
1. Rebecca Shine/Julia Fellerhoff (LOU) def. James, Natasha/Costales, Kelsey (UE) 6-3
2. Manuela Velasquez/Elle Stokes (LOU) def. Trousilova, Marketa/Milovic, Mina (UE) 6-2
3. Cassie Pough/Olivia Boesing (LOU) def. Brguljan, Andjela/Moreno, Marina (UE) 6-1
University of Evansville 0-3
Louisville 2-2; National ranking #65
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,4,6,5,3,1)