Feb. 6, 2014
The University of Louisville women's tennis team swept visiting Morehead State 7-0 in the opening home dual match of the season Thursday afternoon at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
The Eagles were a player short forcing them to give up one doubles and one singles position and U of L pressed its advantage, taking the doubles points and then sweeping the singles as well.
"I felt like we played well today, but we definitely had some lapses in concentration," said U of L head coach Mark Beckham. "We were able to get by with that lapse today because we are more talented than Morehead but I do not like to see that and I let them know that after the match. I do think that we improved today and that will help us for the matches throughout the rest of the season."
In doubles, the #2 -ranked pair of Rebecca Shine and Julia Fellerhoff made quick work of Briar Preston and Andrea LeBlanc, winning 6-0 at No .1. At the No. 2 slot, Manuela Velasquez paired with Elle Stokes to beat MSU's Hayley Wild and Sandrine Beaule. The U of L pair of Cassie Pough and Olivia Boesing won by forfeit as Morehead could not field a pair.
In singles, U of L won the No. 6 spot by default due to Morehead's lack of available players. Next Becky Bodine finished off Dominique McLean at No .3 for the first singles point with a 6-0, 6-0 sweep. The match was clinched by Olivia Boesing at No. 5, who beat Hayley Wild 6-2, 6-1. With the match won, Manuela Velasquez tacked on another point with a 6-4, 6-0 win over Andrea LeBlanc at No. 2. Rebecca Shine then finished off Briar Preston 6-3, 6-3 at No.1. The No. 4 Cardinal, Cassie Pough, was the last to finish up with a 6-5, 6-3 win at No. 4 over Sandrine Beaule.
The Cards move to 2-2 in dual play and Morehead drops to 1-4. U of L is back in action on Saturday at noon when they face Evansville at noon and then open AAC play against Cincinnati at 2 p.m. both at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
Tennis Match Results
Morehead State vs Louisville
Feb 06, 2014 at Louisville, KY
(Bass-Rudd Tennis Center)
#65 Louisville 7, Morehead State 0
1. Rebecca Shine (LOU) def. PRESTON, Briar (MOR-W) 6-3, 6-3
2. Manuela Velasquez (LOU) def. LeBLANC, Andrea (MOR-W) 6-4, 6-0
3. Becky Bodine (LOU) def. McLEAN, Dominique (MOR-W) 6-0, 6-0
4. Cassie Pough (LOU) def. BEAULE, Sandrine (MOR-W) 6-5, 6-3
5. Olivia Boesing (LOU) def. WILD, Hayley (MOR-W) 6-2, 6-1
6. No player (LOU) def. No player (MOR-W), by forfeit
1. Julia Fellerhoff/Rebecca Shine (LOU) def. PRESTON, Briar/LeBLANC, Andrea (MOR-W) 6-0
2. Manuela Velasquez/Elle Stokes (LOU) def. BEAULE, Sandrine/WILD, Hayley (MOR-W) 6-0
3. No player/No player (MOR-W) vs. Cassie Pough/Olivia Boesing (LOU) no result
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,3,5,2,1,4)