Jan. 20, 2013
The University of Louisville women's tennis team took the doubles points and then swept through the singles lineup, losing only seven games en route to the 7-0 sweep for the second win of the day Sunday afternoon at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
"That was a very good efficient win," said Mark Beckham, U of L head coach. "We were more talented than them so I was looking for focus. I thought we stayed focused and concentrated the whole way through. Nobody lost more than two games and that is a good sign that we didn't let our mind wander. It is a great start to the season and I want to carry the momentum into next Saturday's matches."
The Cardinals took the doubles point when Rebecca Shine and Becky Bodine clinched the point with an 8-2 win over Dominique McLean and Sandrine Beaule. The Eagles were short-handed and had to forfeit the No. 3 position, giving Lauren Harrington and Alex Tachovsky the easy win at No. 3. Julia Fellerhoff and Manuela Velasquez beat Lissa Pacheco-Broussea and Victoria Cran 8-1 at No. 1 to complete the sweep.
In singles action, U of L got its first singles point by forfeit as Lauren Harrington took credit for the win when Morehead was unable to fill the slot. The second point came from Becky Bodine, who rolled 6-0, 6-0 over Morgan Wright at No.5. At No. 3, Mandy Brown beat Lissa Pachecco-Brousseau 6-1, 6-0 to clinch the match. Manuela Velasques scored the fifth point with a 6-1, 6-1 over Dominique McLean. Rebecca Shine won 6-1, 6-1 at No. 1 over Victoria Cran and Stefanie Villajuan won 6-1, 6-2 in the No. 4 slot.
Xavier vs Louisville
Jan 20, 2013 at Louisville, KY
(Bass Rudd Tennis Center)
Louisville 7, Xavier 0
1. Julia Fellerhoff (LOU) def. Katie Pleiman (XU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-1
2. Rebecca Shine (LOU) def. Alexandra Brinker (XU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Manuela Velasquez (LOU) def. Daniella Patton (XU) 6-3, 6-0
4. Mandy Brown (LOU) def. Kally Alkire (XU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Stefanie Villajuan (LOU) def. Andrea Wolf (XU) 6-2, 2-6, 10-8
6. Becky Bodine (LOU) def. Lizzie Oosterbaan (XU) 6-3, 6-0
1. Manuela Velasquez/Julia Fellerhoff (LOU) def. Kally Alkire/Katie Pleiman (XU) 8-3
2. Becky Bodine/Rebecca Shine (LOU) def. Alexandra Brinker/Allyson Westling (XU) 7-5
3. Mandy Brown/Stefanie Villajuan (LOU) def. Daniella Patton/Andrea Wolf (XU) 8-1