Women's Soccer Drops 2-1 Decision at Georgetown - GoCards.com | Official Website of University of Louisville Athletics
Women's Soccer Drops 2-1 Decision at Georgetown

Louisville freshman Ashley Racette

Louisville freshman Ashley Racette

Oct. 9, 2009

Box Score

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Freshman Ashley Racette scored her first career goal but it was not enough as the Louisville women's soccer team lost 2-1 to BIG EAST Conference foe and homestanding Georgetown on Friday afternoon at North Kehoe Field.

With the win, Georgetown improved to 9-3-2 overall and 3-2-1 in BIG EAST Conference games, while the Cardinals dropped to 4-8-0 overall and 1-5-0 in league play.

"Unfortunately, we started a little slower than we would have liked and really didn't start playing until after we gave up the first goal," said Louisville head coach Karen Ferguson-Dayes. "We played very well and created enough chances. We were just unlucky to not get the equalizer. We'll refocus and get ready for a very talented Villanova team on Sunday."

Following more than 21 minutes of scoreless action, the host Hoyas moved to the lead in the 22nd minute of play as Ingrid Wells connected from the right corner of the penalty area for the first of two goals on the day for the Georgetown sophomore. Sophomore Kelly D'Ambrisi had the assist on the goal, which was the sixth of the season for Wells.

Less than six minutes later, Wells pushed her season total to seven goals as she scored from the left corner of the penalty area in the 28th minute to give the Hoyas a 2-0 advantage. D'Ambrisi earned her second assist of the day and senior Sara Jordan was also credited with an assist on the goal.

The Cardinals bounced back less than five minutes later as Racette cut the Georgetown lead in half at 2-1 as she connected on a header following a corner kick from senior Lindsay Boling in the 33rd minute. The goal was the first of the career for Racette, a native of Brighton, Mich., while the assist for Boling was her first of the season and the fifth of her career.



After maintaining the 2-1 advantage into the halftime break, Georgetown managed to hold off all Louisville charges during the final 45 minutes of play for the win. The Cardinals had six shots in the second half, including a pair of shots on goal by Boling and Caitlin Rehder in the 62nd minute that were turned away by GU goalkeeper Jackie Desjardin.

Desjardin finished the game with six saves for the Hoyas, while Louisville freshman Taylor Vancil had three saves in the game. Overall, shots were even at 12-12, while Georgetown had a 7-5 edge on shots on goal and a 9-7 advantage on corner kicks. Both teams were whistled for two offsides each.

Up next, the Cardinals will conclude their five-game BIG EAST Conference road stretch at Villanova on Sunday at noon ET. Following that road game, Louisville will return home to host USF on Friday, Oct. 16 at 7 p.m. ET at Cardinal Park.

Official Online Store