Dec. 8, 2012
LOUISVILLE, Ky. -
The University of Louisville track and field teams jumpstarted the year in impressive fashion, registering seven victories Friday evening at the Hoosier Open in Bloomington, Ind.
In addition to the Cardinals hitting 27 BIG EAST qualifying marks in their season opener, Louisville tallied six marks at the Gladstein Fieldhouse that rank in the top-five nationally.
Senior Michelle Theophille, who earned indoor All-America honors in the high jump last season, registered a win in the event after clearing an indoor-best 1.85m/6-0.75, which currently ranks first nationally. The mark also breaks the school record of 1.82m/5-11.50 that originally was set by Rachel Gehret in 2009 and tied by Theophille last season. The Whitby, Ontario native has continued her momentum from, most recently, the outdoor season, where she finished sixth at the national championships.
Freshman Brittany Owens, a highly touted athlete from Idaho, notched two wins in her collegiate debut. The two-time Idaho Girls Gatorade Track Athlete of the Year led a 1-2-3-4 finish in the long jump and later posted a victory in the triple jump. Owens earned a mark of 5.80m/19-0.50 in the long jump, which ranks fifth nationally.
In the women's weight throw, led by All-American Amashi Kendall, the Cardinals had three finish in the top five. Kendall, who scored the win, registered a toss of 20.01m/65-7.75, good enough for third in the national descending order list. Patrice Gates placed third in the event and Rachel Serafin, a redshirt freshman, took fifth.
The women's throws group also excelled in the shot put, placing three inside the top four. Khadija Abdullah
paced the Cardinals with a win behind a toss of 16.80m/55-1.50. Kendall took second, while Serafin checked in at No. 3.
The men's team experienced strong opening performances in the field events as well.
True freshman Chrisjaan Smith notched his first collegiate victory by clearing 2.05m/6-8.75 in the high jump. Teammate Jacob Sebastian placed second in the pole vault and, in the throws group, Louisville finished 2-3-4 in the weight throw. Freshman Steve Wade, a Brentwood, Tenn., native, led the Cardinals with a third-place showing in the shot put.
On the track, senior Margret Harris won the 60m finals with a personal-best time of 7.38, which ranks second currently. She advanced past the trials after a second-place showing and won the finals by eight hundredths of a second. Freshman Michael Thompson also advanced out of his 60m trials and took fourth in the finals.
Louisville is idle for the remainder of December and returns to action on Jan. 11 at the Kentucky Invitational. The two-day event takes place at Nutter Fieldhouse.
For the latest information on Louisville cross country and track and field, log on to GoCards.com, or, for up-to-the-minute updates, follow the team's Twitter account at www.twitter.com/uofltrackxc or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/uofltrackxc.
HOOSIER OPEN (BLOOMINGTON, IND. - GLADSTEIN FIELDHOUSE)
Friday, Dec. 7
Women's 60m Trials
2. Margret Harris - 7.43q #
Men's 60m Trials
4. Michael Thompson - 7.05q #
Women's Weight Throw
1. Amashi Kendall - 20.01m/65-7.75 #
3. Patrice Gates - 17.42m/57-2 #
5. Rachel Serafin - 16.48m/54-1 #
7. Hannah Baker - 15.50m/50-10.25 #
8. Caitlin Gilmore - 15.47m/50-9.25 #
Men's Pole Vault
2. Jacob Sebastian - 4.85m/15-11 #
t-4. Kevin Jackson - 4.55m/14-11 #
Women's 60m Finals
1. Margret Harris - 7.38 #
Men's 60m Finals
4. Michael Thompson - 7.01 #
Men's Weight Throw
2. Sam Bombaugh - 17.90m/58-8.75 #
3. Brad Vivace - 16.97m/55-8.25 #
4. Sebastian Lenz - 16.28m/53-5 #
8. Nils Westrich - 15.43m/50-7.50 #
11. Isaac Bowling - 13.79m/45-3
Women's Long Jump
1. Brittany Owens - 5.80m/19-0.50 #
2. Margret Harris - 5.60m/18-4.50 #
3. Hannah Cox - 5.49m/18-0.25
4. Naadira Taylor - 5.06m/16-7.25
Men's High Jump
1. Chrisjaan Smith - 2.05m/6-8.75 #
Michael Thompson - NH
Women's Shot Put
1. Khadija Abdullah - 16.80m/55-1.50 #
2. Amashi Kendall - 15.38m/50-5.50 #
4. Rachel Serafin - 13.08m/42-11 #
Women's Pole Vault
5. Chelsea Bingham - 3.55m/11-7.75 #
Men's Shot Put
3. Steve Wade - 16.73m/54-10.75 #
5. Isaac Bowling - 15.42m/50-7.25 #
6. Brad Vivace - 14.98m/49-1.75 #
Sam Bombaugh - FOUL
Women's Triple Jump
1. Brittany Owens - 11.50m/37-8.75 #
3. Naadira Taylor - 10.81m/35-5.75
Women's High Jump
1. Michelle Theophille - 1.85m/6-0.75 #
# denotes BIG EAST qualifying mark