April 7, 2012
LOUISVILLE, Ky. -
The University of Louisville track and field teams completed the Tennessee Challenge with an impressive nine event titles on Saturday at Tom Black Track at LaPorte Stadium in Knoxville, Tenn.
The jumps group alone picked up four victories.
Michelle Theophille and Michael Edwards each won their respective high jump events, while Malina Simmers captured the triple jump crown and Charachesicia Lockhart won the long jump title. Theophille cleared the bar at 1.75m/5-8.75, while Michael Edwards' mark of 2.15m/7-0.50 is a season-best. Simmers recorded her first legal-aided jump of the season, reaching 12.38m/40-7.75 for a top-60 national mark. Lockhart hit a legal-aided jump of 6.04m/19-9.75, jumping into the top-35 nationally.
Jenna Wargo also captured a victory for the field events, winning the javelin throw with a collegiate-best 52.04m/170-9. It's her second-straight victory in the event this season after opening the year with a second-place finish at the Bulls Invitational. Chinwe Okoro collected the other field event victory, as she won the discus title behind a collegiate-best heave of 55.90m/183-5; she took second in the shot put. Okoro has won all three discus events she has competed in this season.
On the track, Cassie Martin, Madie Davidson and Calvin Arsenault set the pace with wins in their respective races. Martin qualified for the BIG EAST Championships in the 3,000m steeplechase after posting a winning time of 11:07.99 in the event. Davidson won the 3,000m title, and Arsenault raced to a time of 53.88 in the 400m hurdles for the victory. He competed in the 110m hurdles as well, where he finished third.
The middle-distance and distance runners also had solid days on the track.
Mattias Wolter had a strong showing in his 3,000m steeplechase debut, taking second. His time of 8:56.51 was only second to former two-time Louisville national champion, Matt Hughes. In the 1,500m events, Luke Lovelace took third in the men's section (3:51.98), while Michelle Molodynia earned a fourth-place showing (4:37.91) in the women's section. In the women's 800m, Ahlivia Spencer clocked a time of 2:10.57 to finish fifth.
In the sprints group, Gabrielle Jackson took second in the 400m hurdles, and Emmanuel Matadi posted a time of 21.50 in the 200m, a season-best mark. He helped carry the men's 4x100m relay to a fourth-place showing later in the day.
The throws group had multiple top-three performances on both sides. Khadija Abdullah had third-place showings in the discus and shot put, and Amashi Kendall landed a third-place finish in the hammer throw. On the men's side, Sam Bombaugh registered a top-30 national mark in the hammer throw, registering a collegiate-best 60.31m/197-10. Teammate Brad Vivace, who took third in the shot put, finished fifth in the hammer throw.
On Friday, Ariel Briggs won the 10,000m race at the Bellarmine Invitational, and Holly Knight, an All-American in the event, took 16th at the Stanford Invitational with a BIG EAST qualifying and school-record time of 33:08.99.
The Cardinals return to action for their first home meet of the year on Saturday, April 14. The Texas Roadhouse Border Battle - Louisville and Kentucky against Notre Dame and Indiana - will be held at Cardinal Park Track and Soccer Stadium.
For all of the latest information on Louisville cross country and track and field, log on to UofLsports.com, or, for up-to-the-minute updates, follow the team's Twitter account at www.twitter.com/louisvilletrack.
TENNESSEE CHALLENGE (KNOXVILLE, TENN. - TOM BLACK TRACK AT LaPORTE STADIUM)
Saturday, April 7
Men's Hammer Throw
3. Sam Bombaugh - 60.31m/197-10 #
5. Brad Vivace - 51.85m/170-1 #
Women's Hammer Throw
3. Amashi-ali Kendall - 53.22m/174-7 #
5. Patrice Gates - 50.45m/165-6 #
6. Hannah Baker - 50.33m/165-1 #
Women's Long Jump
1. Charachesicia Lockhart - 6.04m/19-9.75 (wind: 0.8) #
Women's Javelin Throw
1. Jenna Wargo - 52.04m/170-9 #
3. Patrice Gates - 37.56m/123-3 #
Men's Long Jump
3. Wesley Smith - 7.03m/23-0.75 #
Women's 3,000m Steeplechase
1. Cassie Martin - 11:07.99 #
2. Paige Dooley - 12:08.60
Men's 3,000m Steeplechase
2. Mattias Wolter - 8:56.51 #
3. Gordon Dooley - 9:13.78 #
Men's Shot Put
3. Brad Vivace - 16.66m/54-8 #
4. Sam Bombaugh - 15.36m/50-4.75 #
6. Isaac Bowling - 15.03m/49-3.75 #
Women's Shot Put
2. Chinwe Okoro - 15.94m/52-3.75 #
3. Khadija Abdullah - 15.75m/51-8.25 #
Women's High Jump
1. Michelle Theophille - 1.75m/5-8.75 #
2. Megan Schubert - 1.75m/5-8.75 #
3. Maggie Gilbertson - 1.75m/5-8.75 #
Men's 4x100m Relay
4. Louisville 'A' (R. Davis, E. Matadi, J. Frazier, M. Hobbs) - 42.42
4. Michelle Molodynia - 4:37.91 #
6. Megan Klein - 4:42.32
10. Maria Frigo - 4:47.46
12. Jordan Diaz - 4:54.12
3. Luke Lovelace - 3:51.98 #
4. Andrew Stewart - 3:52.93 #
7. Evan Hibbs - 3:58.65
19. Ryan Eaton - 4:11.56
Women's 100m Hurdles
6. Gabrielle Jackson - 14.84 #
Men's 110m Hurdles
3. Calvin Arsenault - 14.42 #
Women's Triple Jump
1. Malina Simmers - 12.38m/40-7.50 (wind: 1.0) #
5. Margret Harris - 56.92 #
8. Hadassah Bruno - 59.04
4. Marcellus Hobbs - 50.16
5. Isaac Bowling - 45.73m/150-0 #
6. Andrew Nelson - 43.78m/143-8
1. Chinwe Okoro - 55.90m/183-5 #
3. Khadija Abdullah - 54.75m/181-4 #
9. Hannah Baker - 41.41m/135-10 #
Men's High Jump
1. Michael Edwards - 2.15m/7-0.50 #
Taylor Caldwell - NH
5. Ahlivia Spencer - 2:10.57 #
9. Michelle Molodynia - 2:14.82
12. Jordan Diaz - 2:18.05
13. Maria Frigo - 2:19.65
8. Andrew Stewart - 1:53.69
11. Luke Lovelace - 1:54.57
13. Evan Hibbs - 1:57.00
17. Ryan Eaton - 2:00.89
Women's 400m Hurdles
2. Gabrielle Jackson - 1:01.35 #
Men's 400m Hurdles
1. Calvin Arsenault - 53.88 #
13. Kim Cardeiro - 27.65
3. Emmanuel Matadi - 21.50 #
13. Marcellus Hobbs - 22.89
1. Madie Davidson - 10:04.34
Men's 4x400m Relay, 4:15 p.m.
3. Louisville 'A' (J. Frazier, M. Hobbs, E. Matadi, C. Arsenault) - 3:19.13
BELLARMINE INVITATIONAL (LOUISVILLE, KY. - OWSLEY B. FRAZIER STADIUM)
Friday, April 6
1. Ariel Briggs - 38:08.33
STANFORD INVITATIONAL (STANFORD, CALIF. - COBB TRACK AT ANGELL FIELD)
Friday, April 6
16. Holly Knight - 33:08.99 #