March 23, 2013
LEXINGTON, Ky. - Ernest Kibet and Amashi Kendall led the University of Louisville track and field teams with victories in their respective events on Friday night at the Vanderbilt Black and Gold Invitational in Nashville, Tenn.
On the track, Kibet earned his second victory of the year, as he placed first in the 3,000m invitational race. Leading a 1-3-4-6 finish, Kibet crossed the line in 8:17.90, the fourth-fastest outdoor mark in school history. Tyler Byrne took third, Luke Lovelace finished fourth, and Japhet Kipkoech came in sixth.
Kendall recorded her second-straight victory in the shot put in just the team’s second outdoor competition this year. Her winning mark of 16.45m/53-11.75 is a career best and should rank in the top-five nationally. Teammate Liberty Slinden took seventh in the competition.
The Cardinals also received a solid track performance from Andrew Stewart, who took fourth in the 1,500m behind a time of 3:55.15.
In the shot put competition, the Cardinals had three finish in the top 10 in the shot put, led by Brad Vivace’s second-place showing on a career-best 17.19m/56-4.75.
Early in the meet, Louisville had six throwers - three men and three women - finish in the top 10 in their respective hammer throw competitions. Sam Bombaugh and Nils Westrich placed third and fourth, respectively, on the men’s side, while Patrice Gates and Caitlin Gilmore took third and fourth, respectively, on the women’s side.
Louisville returns to action on Saturday for day two of the Black and Gold Invitational, with action beginning at 10 a.m.
For the latest information on Louisville cross country and track and field, log on to GoCards.com, or, for up-to-the-minute updates, follow the team's Twitter account at www.twitter.com/uofltrackxc or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/uofltrackxc.
VANDERBILT BLACK AND GOLD INVITE (VANDERBILT TRACK COMPLEX - NASHVILLE, TENN.)
Friday, March 22
Men’s Hammer Throw
3. Sam Bombaugh - 62.94m/206-6
4. Nils Westrich - 61.45m/201-7
8. Sebastian Lenz - 57.31m/188-0
16. Brad Vivace - 51.48m/168-11
21. Isaac Bowling - 48.91m/160-5
Women’s Hammer Throw
3. Patrice Gates - 53.02m/173-11
4. Caitlin Gilmore - 50.32m/165-1
7. Hannah Baker - 49.46m/162-3
13. Rachel Serafin - 45.51m/149-4
Amashi Kendall - FOUL
Women’s Shot Put
1. Amashi Kendall - 16.45m/53-11.75
7. Liberty Slinden - 14.31m/46-11.50
11. Rachel Serafin - 13.42m/44-0.50
Men’s Shot Put
2. Brad Vivace - 17.19m/56-4.75
5. Steve Wade - 16.72m/54-10.25
8. Sam Bombaugh - 15.86m/52-0.50
14. Isaac Bowling - 15.04m/49-4.25
Women’s Triple Jump
Naadira Taylor - FOUL
Men’s 1,500m Invitational
4. Andrew Stewart - 3:55.15
9. Evan Hibbs - 4:00.60
Women’s 1,500m Invitational
7. Michelle Molodynia - 4:31.24
Men’s 3,000m Invitational
1. Ernest Kibet - 8:17.90
3. Tyler Byrne - 8:20.91
4. Luke Lovelace - 8:22.51
6. Japhet Kipkoech - 8:26.0
Women’s 3,000m Invitational
12. Benadate Cheruiyot - 10:01.38
15. Agnes Chepchumba - 10:26.43
16. Maria Frigo - 10:35.15