May 9, 2014
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The University of Louisville men's tennis team fell to 4-1 to Wake Forest in the first round of the NCAA tournament Friday afternoon. The Cardinals end the season with a 21-8 overall record.
"Wake Forest played really well today and deserved the win," said UofL head coach Rex Ecarma. "A pivotal part of the match is when Sebastian and Van were both up 5-4 in the first set and let it slip away. Albert was our best player and won in singles and doubles. I was confident that Michael would win his match and Van was serving for the second set. We were just a little short. One good thing is that we are one of the few teams in the country that has their entire starting line-up and all key reserves back so the future is very bright."
The match began on the outdoor courts where the Cardinals jumped to an early advantage by taking the No.1 spot with an 8-4 win over No 50 Pedro Dumont and Jon Ho. The Demon Deacons quickly evened things up at No. 2 where Romain Bogaerts and Maksim Kan defeated Sebastian Stiefelmeyer and Jeffrey Brown 8-4. With Wake's Anthony Declore and Adam Lee leading Alex Gornet and Van Damrongsri 7-2 on court three, the match went to a rain delay. Two hours later, play resumed on the indoor courts where the Demon Deacons clinched the first point with an 8-4 decision.
In singles action, Wake Forest took a 2-0 lead at No. 4 where Jon Ho picked up a 6-1, 6-3 win over Chris Simich. The Cardinals got on the scoreboard when Albert Wagner defeated Adam Lee 6-2, 6-2 at No. 2 to make the score 2-1. Wake pulled ahead on court three where Maksim Kan posted a 6-2, 6-3 win over 6-2, 6-3. Louisville's Sebastian Stiefelmeyer battled, but lost a 7-5 first set decision and fell 6-0 in the second set to 29th ranked Romain Bogaerts.
#32 Wake Forest 4, #34 Louisville 1
May 9, 2014 at Columbus, Ohio
1. #29 Romain Bogaerts (WF) def. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (LOU) 7-5, 6-0
2. Albert Wagner (LOU) def. #94 Adam Lee (WF) 6-2, 6-2
3. #110 Maksim Kan (WF) def. Alex Gornet (LOU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Jon Ho (WF) def. Chris Simich (LOU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Van Damrongsri (LOU) vs. Aws Laaribi (WF) DNF
6. Michael Lippens (LOU) vs. Anthony Delcore (WF) DNF
Order of finish: Singles (4,2,3,1)
1. Albert Wagner/Chris Simich (LOU) def. #50 Pedro Dumont/Jon Ho (WF) 8-4
2. Romain Bogaerts/Maksim Kan (WF) def. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer/Jeffrey Brown (LOU) 8-4
3. Anthony Delcore/Adam Lee (WF) def. Alex Gornet/Van Damrongsri (LOU) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3)
Louisville 21-7; National ranking #34
Wake Forest 15-13; National ranking #32
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,2,3,1)
2014 NCAA Tournament First Round Match
Hosted by The Ohio State University
Official: Vince Solomon T-5:15