April 24, 2010
SOUTH BEND, Ind. - -
The 15th ranked and top-seeded University of Louisville men's tennis team defeated DePaul cruised to a 4-0 win over the No. 5 seed DePaul in the semifinals of the BIG EAST Conference Championship Saturday. U of L (21-5) will face No. 2 seeded Notre Dame in Sunday's championship match.
"The players played with a great sense of purpose," said U of L head coach Rex Ecarma. "I started off in doubles, especially Alejandro and Simon. Our message was to keep your tennis at a high level and do not let anything sidetrack you. Viktor Alejandro and Robert accelerated us to the finish line. They were dominating."
The Cardinals started the match by taking the doubles point as the 22nd ranked tandem of Simon Childs and Alejandro Calligari teamed to beat Mathias Hambach 8-2 at the top seed while Austen Childs and Viktor Maksimcuk topped Bartosz Jozwiak and Ben Hartman 8-4 at No. 2.
In singles action, Maksimcuk defeated Jozwiak 6-2, 6-0 at the two-spot. Calligari added to the lead with a 6-3, 6-1 decision over Hambach at No. 4. Robert Hall clinched the victory with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Doug Perrin on court six.
Sunday's match marks Louisville's first championship appearance since 2007, when it fell to Notre Dame 4-0. The Cardinals won the BIG EAST in 2006 in their inaugural season in the league, beating the Fighting Irish 4-1.
This will be the 11th meeting between Louisville and Notre Dame - each team has tallied five wins. Earlier this season, Louisville beat Notre Dame 5-2 on April 10 in South Bend.
No. 15 Louisville 4 - DePaul
April 24, 2010 - South Bend, Ind.
BIG EAST Conference Semifinals
1. #22 S. Childs/Calligari (UofL) def. Hambach/Grgec (DPU), 8-2
2. A. Childs/Maksimcuk (UofL) def. Jowziak/Hartman (DPU), 8-4
3. Hall/Gabriel (UofL) vs. Graetz/Perrin (DPU), DNF (4-4)
1. #18 Austen Childs (UofL) vs. Alasdair Graetz (DPU), DNF (6-3, 3-3)
2. Viktor Maksimcuk (UofL) def. Bartosz Jozwiak (DPU), 6-2, 6-0
3. #89 Simon Childs (UofL) vs. Matija Palinic (DPU), DNF (6-7(7), 1-0)
4. Alejandro Calligari (UofL) def. Mathias Hambach (DPU), 6-3, 6-1
5. Andrew Carter (UofL) vs. Vanja Grgec (DPU), DNF (7-6(5), 1-0)
6. Robert Hall (UofL) def. Doug Perrin (DPU), 6-2, 6-2*
Order of Finish
Doubles: 1, 2
Singles: 2, 4, 6