Luis Elizondo tied the match with his singles win.
April 21, 2012
The No. 2-seeded University of Louisville men's tennis team advanced in the BIG EAST Championship match with a 4-1 over No. 3 seeded St. John's Saturday afternoon in Tampa, Fla. In a tightly contested match, No. 4 seed USF upset No. 1 seeded Notre Dame 4-3, pitting the host Bulls against the Cardinals on Sunday for the crown.
" We met after losing the doubles point and stressed to the players the confidence we had in the next six singles matches," said U of L head coach Rex Ecarma. "This team does an excellent job of not letting the doubles point rub off on their singles. They are pretty amazing about that. Luis tied up the score with his win, Hall gave us the second point. Sebastian won the third and Michael clinched. All the matches seemed to be won within 10-15 minutes. It is an achievement to be playing in our third straight BIG EAST final and fifth in the last 7 years. We feel good physically and are very excited to be playing for our third straight Championship. These guys are humble and hungry and are starting to peak at the perfect time."
The Cardinals dropped a hard-fought doubles point when Andrew Carter and Albert Wagner fell 9-7 at No. 1 to Milo Hauk and Vasko Mladenov. USF's Ilija Vucic and Stefan Bojic clinched the point with an 8-5 win over Sebastian Stiefelmeyer and Robert Hall 8-5 at No. 2. U of L's No. 3 pair of Adam Donaldson and Michael Lippens had locked horns with Kurt Anbarci and Matty Najfeld but did not finish the 7-6 match after the clinch per BIG EAST format rules.
Louisville wins 4-1
1. Andrew Carter (UofL) vs. Vasko Mladenov (STJ) 6-4, 4-2 DNF
2. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (UofL) def. Milo Hauk (STJ) 6-2, 6-4
3. Ilija Vucic (STJ) vs. Albert Wagner (UofL) 6-4, 4-1 DNF
4. Michael Lippens (UofL) def. Stefan Bojic (STJ) 6-3, 6-3*
5. Robert Hall (UofL) def. Kurt Anbarci (STJ) 6-4, 6-2
6. Luis Elizondo (UofL) def. Mike Lampa (STJ) 6-4, 6-1
1. Milo Hauk/Vasko Mladenov (STJ) def. Andrew Carter/Albert Wagner (UofL) 9-7
2. Ilija Vucic/Stefan Bojic (STJ) def. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer/Robert Hall (UofL) 8-5*
3. Kurt Anbarci/Matty Najfeld (STJ) vs. Adam Donaldson/Michael Lippens (UofL) 7-6 DNF
Order of Finish: 6, 2, 5, 4*