April 19, 2014
MEMPHIS - The third-seeded University of Louisville men's tennis team fell 4-1 to second-seeded USF in the semifinals of the American Athletic Conference Championship Saturday afternoon at the Racquet Club of Memphis.
"We had some opportunities in the beginning being up 7-5 at No. 1 doubles but did not close out," said UofL head coach Rex Ecarma. "USF used that momentum from doubles to get off to a great start in singles. We were clawing our way back and were in very close matched on courts 2, 5 and 6. They did a better job of closing out the sets. It feels a little strange not being in the finals since we appeared in our last four conference finals. I firmly believe there is more tennis to play in the NCAA tournament for a 21-7 team with several impressive wins."
USF started the match by taking the doubles point. Oliver Pramming and Ignacio Gonzalez-Muniz teamed to beat Sebastian Stiefelmeyer and Jeffrey Brown 8-2 at No. 2 doubles and Louisville's Albert Wagner and Chris Simich were outlasted 8-7 (7-5) by No. 41 Roberto Cid and Sasha Gozun at the top seed.
In singles, Chris Simich evened the score with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Vadym Kalyuhnyy at No. 4. USF picked up points at Nos. 1, 3 and 5 to secure the win. Roberto Cid, No. 43 in the ITA singles rankings, topped Stiefelmeyer 6-0, 6-4 at No. 1 Sasha Gozun registered a 6-1, 6-3 decision over Alex Gornet at the three spot and the match was sealed on court five, where Gonzalezz-Muniz defeated Michael Lippens 6-4, 7-5.
#26 USF 4, #39 Louisville 1
Apr 19, 2014 at Memphis, Tenn.
(The Racquet Club of Memphis)
1. #43 Roberto Cid (USF) def. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer
(LOU) 6-0, 6-4
2. Oliver Pramming (USF) vs. Albert Wagner
(LOU) 6-4, 6-6 (1-1), unfinished
3. Sasha Gozun (USF) def. Alex Gornet
(LOU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Chris Simich
(LOU) def. Vadym Kalyuzhnyy (USF) 6-3, 6-1
5. Ignacio Gonzalez-Muniz (USF) def. Michael Lippens
(LOU) 6-4, 7-5
6. Federico Sabogal (USF) vs. Van Damrongsri
(LOU) 6-4, 5-5, unfinished
1. #41 Roberto Cid/Sasha Gozun (USF) def. Albert Wagner/Chris Simich (LOU) 8-7 (7-5)
2. #81 Oliver Pramming/I. Gonzalez-Muniz (USF) def. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer/Jeffrey Brown (LOU) 8-2
3. Vadym Kalyuzhnyy/Finn Meinecki (USF) vs. Alex Gornet/Van Damrongsri (LOU) 4-6, unfinished
Louisville 21-7; National ranking #39
USF 16-6; National ranking #26
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (4,1,3,5)