April 18, 2014
MEMPHIS - The third-seeded University of Louisville men's tennis team defeated No. 6 seeded Temple 4-0 in the quarterfinals of the American Athletic Conference Friday afternoon.
"I can't ask for a better start of a conference tournament," said UofL head coach Rex Ecarma. "Temple had won seven straight matches before they ran into us. We controlled all the doubles courts and are singles scores were dominating. The players were focused and efficient. I was impressed with our team, especially Chris Simich who lost only two games in two matches."
The Cardinals took the doubles point to start the match. Albert Wagner and Chris Simich teamed to beat Hernan Vasconez and Filip Stipcic 8-2 at the top seed and Alex Gornet and Van Damrongsri clinched the first point with an 8-4 win over Kristian Marquart and Vineet Narat at the three-spot.
In singles action, Simich quickly added to the lead by beating Stipcic 6-0, 6-0 at No. 4. Lippens followed with a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Santiago Canete at the five-spot to make the score 3-0. Wagner defeated Hicham Belkssir 6-2, 6-2 to seal the win for the Cardinals.
UofL (21-6) will face the No. 2 seed USF in the semifinals Saturday at 12 p.m.
Louisville 4 - Temple 0
American Athletic Conference Quarterfinals
April 18, 2014
1. Albert Wagner/Chris Simich (LOU) def. Hernan Vasconez/Filip Stipcic (TEM) 8-2
2. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer/Jeffrey Brown (LOU) led Nicolas Paulus/Hicham Belkssir (TEM) 6-5, did not finish
3. Alex Gornet/Van Damrongsri (LOU) def Kristian Marquart/Vineet Naran (TEM) 8-4
Order of Finish: 1,3
1. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (LOU) led Nicolas Paulus (TEM) 6-1, 5-1, did not finish
2. Albert Wagner (LOU) def Hicham Belkssir (TEM) 6-2, 6-2
3. Alex Gornet (LOU) led Kristian Marquart (TEM) 6-3, 0-1, did not finish
4. Chris Simich (LOU) def. Filip Stipcic (TEM) 6-0, 6-0
5. Michael Lippens (LOU) def. Santaigo Canete (TEM) 6-1, 6-1
6. Luis Elizondo (LOU) led Hernan Vasconez (TEM) 6-2, 3-1, did not finish
Order of Finish: 5, 4, 2
Match Duration: 2:01