April 18, 2009
TAMPA, Fla. - - The 23rd ranked University of Louisville men's tennis team fell to DePaul 4-3 in the semifinals of the BIG EAST Conference tournament Saturday morning at the USF Tennis Courts.
"We won the doubles point comfortably," said Rex Ecarma. "Then Austen and Simon won in a very powerful way and Robert Rotaru lost to make it a 3-1 match," said U of L Rex Ecarma. "Unfortunately Viktor lost 7-6 in the third , Alejandro Calligari lost 6-2 in the third and Robert Hall lost 6-4 in third. DePaul now plays in the championship against South Florida who upset Notre Dame. We played South Florida a few weeks ago and beat them soundly. We will play Notre Dame tomorrow for third place that's going to be a ferocious match, but we'll be ready for it.
The Cards took the doubles point to start the match. Alejandro Calligari and Robert Hall teamed to beat Bartosz Jozwiak and Matija Palinic 8-3 at the three-spot and the No. 82 ranked team of Viktor Maksimcuk and Simon Childs clinched the point with an 8-5 victory over Ben Hartman and Austin Doerner at the top seed.
Vanja Grgec put the Blue Demons on the board with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Robert Rotaru. DePaul went on to edge the Cards in three sets at Nos. 2, 4, and 5 to rally for the win. Jose Mancada outlasted No. 79 Viktor Maksimcuk 3-6, 6-3, 7-6(5) at the two-spot and Hartman defeated Calligari 6-4, 46-, 6-2 at No. 4. The match came down to the number five position which also featured a battle. DePaul's Jozwiak took the first set 7-5, and Hall fought back for a 6-4 win in the second, but Jozwiak answered with a 6-4 win in the third to clinch the victory. The Blue Demons (18-9) will face host USF in Sunday's championship match.
No. 1 seed Louisville, 3 vs. No. 5 seed DePaul, 4
April 18, Tampa, Fla.
BIG EAST Championship Semifinals
1. #82 Maksimcuk/S. Childs (UL) d. Hartman/Doerner (DPU), 8-5*
2. A. Childs/Sumit Gupta (UL) vs. Graetz/Moncada (DPU), DNF (7-3)
3. Calligari/Hall (UL) d. Jozwiak/Palinic (DPU), 8-3
1. #31 Austen Childs (UL) d. Austin Doerner (DPU), 6-3, 6-2
2. Jose Moncada (DPU) d. #79 Viktor Maksimcuk (UL), 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (5)
3. Simon Childs (UL) d. Alasdair Graetz (DPU), 6-2, 6-2
4. Ben Hartman (DPU) d. Alejandro Calligari (UL), 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
5. Bartosz Jozwiak (DPU) d. Robert Hall (UL), 7-5, 4-6, 6-4*
6. Vanja Grgec (DPU) d. Robert Rotaru (UL), 6-1, 6-2