April 13, 2014
Box Score |
The University of Louisville men's tennis team concluded the regular season with a doubleheader sweep of Wright State and Austin Peay Sunday afternoon at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. The Cards defeated Wright State 7-0 and Austin Peay 4-0 to improve to 20-6 on the season.
"I felt that that was a great cap to a very special season," said UofL head coach Rex Ecarma. Where this team joined only six other teams that have won 20 or more regular season matches. It's a tough this to accomplish because the average amount of matches we play is usually around twenty-six matches a season. It's pretty tough and I want to congratulate this team for doing that. A lot of great regular season wins, with Nebraska, Michigan, and Virginia Tech, and Indiana, and Northwestern, and Michigan State, and Arizona."
Louisville 7 - Wright State 0
The Cards opened the match by taking the doubles point. Alex Gornet and Van Damrongsri defeated Hayden Joblin and Michal Lyzwa 8-2 at No. 3 while Sebastian Stiefelmeyer and Jeffrey Brown clinched the doubles point with an 8-4 win over Myles Harris and Ricardo Pineda at No. 1. Chris Simich and Albert Wagner closed out doubles play for the Cards with an 8-7 (7-5) victory over Lauri Makikalli and Dan Gilbert at No. 2.
In singles action, Michael Lippens took the second point for the Cards with a 6-1, 6-0 win at No. 6 over Lyzwa. At No. 1, Stiefelmeyer posted the Cards third point with a 6-3, 6-0 victory over Joblin. Damrongsri clinched the victory with a 7-6 (7-5), 6-1 win at No. 5 over Marc Sodini. Wagner defeated Dan 7-5, 6-2 at the two-spot and at Simich topped Pineda 6-0, 7-6 (7-5) to bring the score to 6-0. The match ended on court three where Alex Gornet who lost the first set 6-4 and was up 5-4 in the second when his opponent Makikalli retired due to injury.
Louisville 4 - Austin Peay 0
In their second match of the day, the Cards again opened by taking the doubles point against Austin Peay. Van Damrongsri and Alex Gornet defeated Manuel Montenegro and Evan Borowski 8-2 at the three-spot. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer and Jeffrey Brown clinched the point with an 8-4 win over Jasmin Ademovic and Aleksas Tverijonas 8-4. Closing out doubles were Albert Wagner and Chris Simich who defeated Dimitar Ristovski and James Mitchell at 8-5 at No. 2.
In singles, Michael Lippens quickly gave the Cards a 2-0 lead when he beat Mitchell 6-0, 6-0 at No. 4. Simich followed with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Tverijonas at the three-spot. The match ended on court six where Luis Elizondo registered a 6-1, 6-1 decision against Borowski.
The Cardinals (20-6) will prepare for the American Athletic Conference which will be held April 17-20 in Memphis.
"This team has accomplished a lot of our regular season goals, but now we focus onto our conference and our goal from day one is not only to have a good showing at the conference tournament, but also to win it," said Ecarma. "We have won it three of the last four years. Six of these guys have been on a conference championship team and are playing better than they were two years ago when they won the conference championship. I want to applaud these young men for a special 20-win season
#30 Louisville 7, Wright State 0
Apr 13, 2014 at Bass-Rudd Tennis Center
1. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (LOU) def. Hayden Joblin (WS) 6-3, 6-0
2. Albert Wagner (LOU) def. Dan Gilbert (WS) 7-5, 6-2
3. Alex Gornet (LOU) def. Lauri Makikalli (WS) 4-6, 5-4, retired
4. Chris Simich (LOU) def. Ricardo Pineda (WS) 6-0, 7-6 (7-5)
5. Van Damrongsri (LOU) def. Marc Sodini (WS) 7-6, 6-1
6. Michael Lippens (LOU) def. Michal Lyzwa (WS) 6-1, 6-0
1. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer/Jeffrey Brown (LOU) def. Myles Harris/Ricardo Pineda (WS) 8-4
2. Chris Simich/Albert Wagner (LOU) def. Lauri Makikalli/Dan Gilbert (WS) 8-7 (7-4)
3. Alex Gornet/Van Damrongsri (LOU) def. Hayden Joblin/Michal Lyzwa (WS) 8-2
Wright State 10-11
Louisville 19-6; National ranking #30
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,1,5,2,4,3)
#30 Louisville 4, Austin Peay 0
Apr 13, 2014 at Bass-Rudd Tennis Center
1. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (LOU) vs. Jasmin Ademovic (APSU) 6-2, 2-3, unfinished
2. Albert Wagner (LOU) vs. Dimitar Ristovski (APSU) 6-4, 3-1, unfinished
3. Chris Simich (LOU) def. Aleksas Tverijonas (APSU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Michael Lippens (LOU) def. James Mitchell (APSU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Van Damrongsri (LOU) vs. Manuel Montenegro (APSU) 6-7, unfinished
6. Luis Elizondo (LOU) def. Evan Borowski (APSU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer/Jeffrey Brown (LOU) def. Jasmin Ademovic/Aleksas Tverijonas (APSU) 8-4
2. Albert Wagner/Chris Simich (LOU) def. Dimitar Ristovski/James Mitchell (APSU) 8-5
3. Van Damrongsri/Alex Gornet (LOU) def. Manuel Montenegro/Evan Borowski (APSU) 8-2
Austin Peay 12-6
Louisville 20-6; National ranking #30
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (4,3,6)