April 9, 2014
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The University of Louisville men's tennis team defeated Eastern Kentucky 7-0 and Youngstown State 7-0 in a doubleheader Wednesday afternoon at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
"I thought that today was a really solid performance overall for the team, to end the day better than you started is always a good thing," said UofL head coach Rex Ecarma. "It wasn't a perfect day, but there were a lot of positives."
Louisville 7 - Eastern Kentucky 0
The Cards started by sweeping the doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead. On court three, Jeffrey Brown and Luis Elizondo quickly defeated Florian Graskamp and Albert Tintore 8-0 while Chris Simich and Albert Wagner teamed to beat Diego Asis and Juanjo DeLallera 8-3 at the top seed to clinch the first point of the match. Alex Gornet and Van Damrongsri completed the doubles sweep with an 8-5 win over Alex Alvaro and Sebastian Mueller at No. 2.
In singles action, Brown gave the Cardinals a 2-0 lead when he beat Joao Maio 6-2, 6-0 at No. 6. Wagner followed at the top seed by beating Daridge Saidi 6-0, 6-3 to make the score 3-0. Michael Lippens clinched the win with a 6-1, 6-1 decision over Flo Graskamp at the four-spot. Gornet picked up a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Juanjo de la Llera at the three-spot. Chris Simich bested Alex Alvaro 6-2, 6-2 at No. 2. Elizondo wrapped up the match on court five, where he defeated Sebastian Mueller 6-2, 6-4.
No. 30 Louisville 7, Eastern Kentucky 0
Apr 9, 2014 at Bass-Rudd Tennis Center
1. Albert Wagner (LOU) def. Daridge Saidi (EKU) 6-0, 6-3
2. Chris Simich (LOU) def. Alex Alvaro (EKU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Alex Gornet (LOU) def. Juanjo de la LlERA, (EKU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Michael Lippens (LOU) def. Florian Graskamp (EKU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Luis Elizondo (LOU) def. Sebastian Mueller(EKU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Jeffrey Brown (LOU) def. Joao Maio (EKU) 6-2, 6-0
1. Chris Simich/Albert Wagner (LOU) def. ASIS, Diego/DE LA LLERA, Juanjo (EKU) 8-3 2. Alex Gornet/Van Damrongsri (LOU) def. ALVARO, Alex/MUELLER, Sebastian (EKU) 8-5 3. Jeffrey Brown/Luis Elizondo (LOU) def. Florian Graskamp/TINTORE, Alberto (EKU) 8-0
Eastern Kentucky 9-11
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,1,4,3,2,5)
Louisville 7 - Youngstown State 0
Against Youngstown State, the Cards took the doubles point for the second time of the day when Alex Gornet and Van Damrongsri defeated Max Schmerin and Rodrigo Campos 8-3 at the two-spot and Albert Wagner teamed with Chris Simich to beat Sebastian Hagn and Dawoud Kabli 8-3 at No. 1. The Penguins picked up a doubles win at No. 3 where Zeeshan Ismail and Sharvil Nawghare topped Colton Buffington and Amaury Derognat 8-2.
Just like in the first match of the day, the Cards again swept singles in straight sets. Simich cruised to a 6-2, 6-1 win over Dawoud at No. 3 to make the score 2-0. Brown posted a 6-0, 6-0 victory over Sharvil Nawghare at the six-spot. Wagner clinched the match by beating Sebastian Hagn 6-1, 6-2 at the top seed. Michael Lippens' 6-2, 6-1 decision over Schmerin gave the Cards a 5-0 lead. Gornet picked up a 6-1, 6-2 win over Silviu Mistreanu at the two-spot and Luis Elizondo concluded the match with a 6-2, 7-5 win over Zeeshan Ismail at No. 5.
"It was good to see Jeff do well in singles and Luis back in the lineup looking healthier - we thank Steve Hoelscher our trainer for that," said Ecarma. "Really the highlight of the day was Albert Wagner who played with intensity and fire all the way through today. He really led the team not only verbally, but also by action."
The Cardinals (18-6) will conclude the regular season when they play host to Wright State and Austin Peay Sunday at 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. respectively.
#30 Louisville 7, Youngstown State 0
Apr 9, 2014 at Bass-Rudd Tennis Center
1. Albert Wagner (LOU-MT) def. Hagn, Sebastian (YSU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Alex Gornet (LOU-MT) def. Mistreanu, Silviu (YSU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Chris Simich (LOU-MT) def. Kabli, Dawoud (YSU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Michael Lippens (LOU-MT) def. Schmerin, Max (YSU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Luis Elizondo (LOU-MT) def. Ismail, Zeeshan (YSU) 6-2, 7-5
6. Jeffrey Brown (LOU-MT) def. Nawghare, Sharvil (YSU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Albert Wagner/Chris Simich (LOU-MT) def. Hagn, Sebastian/Kabli, Dawoud (YSU) 8-3
2. Alex Gornet/Van Damrongsri (LOU-MT) def. Schmerin, Max/Campos, Rodrigo (YSU) 8-3
3. Ismail, Zeeshan/Nawghare, Sharvil (YSU) def. Colton Buffington/Amaury Derognat (LOU-MT) 8-2
Youngstown State 5-12
Louisville 18-6; National ranking #30
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,6,1,4,2,5)