April 6, 2014
Box Score |
The University of Louisville men's tennis team bounced back after dropping the doubles point to beat the visiting VCU Rams 4-2 Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
"It was a normal Louisville versus VCU battle," said U of L head coach Rex Ecarma. "Paul Kostin and I've been having these battles for years and that program has won so many conference championships and actually made a run to the NCAA finals in the early 2000s. They always have a good team. They never have a down year, their coach does too good of a job recruiting and developing his players. Today's win was very important for us.. They are ranked team which helps build our NCAA resume. If you lose, you don't lose two times in a row then it starts playing mind games with you. Obviously, the Memphis loss was very tough on us and then we get down with the doubles point, but these guys battled back. They really dug deep and won the match. I'm really pleased on how they bounced back today."
The Rams opened the match by taking the doubles point. Albert Wagner and Chris Simich fell 8-4 to No. 43-ranked Nick Jones and Alexis Huegas at No. 1. The Cards answered at No. 3 with Alex Gornet and Jeff Brown defeating Jean Baptiste Mateo and Alejandro Argente 8-6. The point came down to court two where VU's Michal Voscek and Wilder Pimentel clinched the doubles point against Sebastian Stiefelmeyer and Van Damrongsri.
In singles action, No. 60-ranked Alexis Huegas took the second point with a 6-1, 6-4 win over Sebastian Stiefelmeyer at No. 1. At No. 2, Chris Simich posted the Cards' first point with a 6-2, 7-5 victory against Alejandro Argente. UofL's Michael Lippens helped the Cards tie it up with a 6-3, 6-4 win at No. 6 over Vuk Velickovic. At No. 3, Albert Wagner defeated Jean Baptiste Mateo 6-7(5-7), 6-4, 6-2 and Van Damrongsri clinched the match for the Cards with a 6-2, 2-6, 7-6(7-4) win at No. 5 over Wilder Pimentel. UofL's Alex Gornet and Michal Voscek did not finish their match and stopped with a score of 6-7(7-1), 7-6(7-4), 2-2 at No. 4.
The Cards are back in action April 9 when they face Eastern Kentucky at 11 a.m. at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
Tennis Match Results
VCU vs Louisville
Apr 06, 2014 at Louisville, Ky.
(Bass-Rudd Tennis Center)
#35 Louisville 4, #45 VCU 2
1. Alexis Huegas (VCU) def. Seb Stiefelmeyer (LOU-MT) 6-1, 6-4
2. Chris Simich (LOU-MT) def. Alejandro Argente (VCU) 6-2, 7-5
3. Albert Wagner (LOU-MT) def. Jean Baptiste Mateo (VCU) 6-7, 6-4, 6-2
4. Alex Gornet (LOU-MT) vs. Michal Voscek (VCU) 7-6, 6-7, 1-2, unfinished
5. Van Damrongsri (LOU-MT) def. Wilder Pimentel (VCU) 6-2, 2-6, 7-6
6. Michael Lippens (LOU-MT) def. Vuk Velickovic (VCU) 6-3, 6-4
1. Nick Jones/Alexis Huegas (VCU) def. Albert Wagner/Chris Simich (LOU-MT) 8-4
2. Michal Voscek/Wilder Pimentel (VCU) def. Seb Stiefelmeyer/Van Damrongsri (LOU-MT) 8-5
3. Alex Gornet/Jeffrey Brown (LOU-MT) def. Jean Baptiste Mateo/Alejandro Argente (VCU) 8-6
Louisville 16-6; National ranking #35
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,2,6,3,5)