April 5, 2012
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The 35th ranked University of Louisville men's tennis team capped off senior day celebration with a 7-0 win over Wright State Thursday evening at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. All four seniors: Andrew Carter, Adam Donaldson, Sumit Gupta and Robert Hall picked up wins in their final home match.
"I felt like the guys really did a great job from the start, we won all three doubles courts," said U of L head coach Rex Ecarma. "We won the entire match pretty convincingly. I'm just really proud of the seniors. They've meant so much to the program, not only winning matches and doing well in school, and being available for every match. They've been the emotion, the heart and soul of our team. They've really made us a team and not group of talented tennis individuals. They've taught us a lot and we're really going to miss them. We hope it'll be a long post season for them, because that's what they deserve. They're going to have a long lasting legacy here at Louisville."
The Cards swept all three doubles positions to open the match with a 1-0 lead. Senior Robert Hall and sophomore Sebastian Stiefelmeyer defeated Martin Arguello and Lauri Makikalli 8-2 at No. 2. Seniors Adam Donaldson and Sumit Gupta notched an 8-3 win over Myles Harris and Neuman at the three-spot. The 64th ranked duo of senior Andrew Carter and freshman Albert Wagner closed out the doubles matches with an 8-3 victory over Jamison Clark and Hayden Joblin at the top seed.
In singles play, Stiefelmeyer added to the lead with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Joblin at the two-spot. Hall defeated Michal Lyzwa 6-2, 6-0 at No. 4. Freshman Michael Lippens' 6-2, 6-2 decision over Clark at No. 5 clinched the victory. Wagner added another point when he bested Makikalli 6-2, 6-2 on court four. Carter picked up a 6-3, 64 win over Arguello at the top seed and freshman Chris Simich wrapped up the match on court five where he topped Ricardo Pinedo 6-4, 6-3.
The Cardinals will wrap up the regular season on April 14 when they travel to Notre Dame.
#35 Louisville 7, Wright State 0
Apr 05, 2012 at Bass-Rudd Tennis Center
1. Andrew Carter (LOU) def. Martin Arguello (WSU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (LOU) def. Hayden Joblin (WSU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Albert Wagner (LOU) def. Lauri Makikalli (WSU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Robert Hall (LOU) def. Michal Lyzwa (WSU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Michael Lippens (LOU) def. Jamison Clark (WSU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Chris Simich (LOU) def. Ricardo Pineda (WSU) 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish: 2,4,5,3,1,6
1. #64 Andrew Carter/Albert Wagner (LOU) def. Jamison Clark/Hayden Joblin (WSU) 8-3
2. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer/Robert Hall (LOU) def. Martin Arguello/Lauri Makikalli (WSU) 8-2
3. Adam Donaldson/Sumit Gupta (LOU) def. Myles Harris/Evan Neuman (WSU) 8-3
Order of finish: 2,3,1
Wright State 14-4
Louisville 15-8; National ranking #35