April 5, 2012
Box Score |
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The No. 35 University of Louisville men's tennis team defeated Eastern Kentucky 6-1 Thursday afternoon at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. The Cards (14-8) will play host to Wright State at 5 p.m. in the second half of Thursday's doubleheader.
"Eastern Kentucky played outstanding doubles at Nos. 1 and 2," said U of L head coach Rex Ecarma. "They played `p'inch' doubles so well, but I am proud of Adam and Sumit for being a force at No. 3. We responded with a great bounce back winning all of the singles in straight sets. EKU head coach Rob Oertel said to me after the match `I thought we stirred up a hornets nest. The team handled adversity perfectly."
Eastern Kentucky (14-8) grabbed the doubles point to start the match. Louisville seniors Adam Donaldson and Sumit Gupta opened doubles play with an 8-3 win over Parul Verma and Jan Dombrowski at the three-spot. Court one featured a battle between the Cards' No. 64 ranked duo of senior Andrew Carter and freshman Albert Wagner and EKU's Hugo Klientovsky and Carles Pons. The Colonels prevailed 9-7 to even the doubles matches at 1-1. The doubles point came down to the No. 2 spot where Niklas Schroeder and Philip Janz defeated freshman Sebastian Stiefelmeyer and senior Robert Hall 8-6 to put the Colonels up 1-0.
In singles action, freshman Michael Lippens quickly tied the score with a 6-0, 6-0 win over Joao Maio at No. 5. On court four, Hall pulled the Cards ahead 2-1 by beating Verma 6-1, 6-1. Wagner increased the lead to 3-1 with a 6-0, 6-4 victory over Janz at the three-spot. Carter took down Schroeder 6-1, 6-3 at No. 2 to clinch the match. Freshman Luis Elizondo tallied a 6-2, 6-1 win over Emilio Piriz to make the score 5-1. On court one, Stiefelmeyer defeated Klientovsky 6-3 in the first set and rallied from a 5-4 deficit to pick up a 7-5 win in the second for the 6-1 final.
#35 Louisville 6, Eastern Kentucky 1
Apr 5, 2012 at Bass-Rudd Tennis Center
1. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (LOU) def. Hugo Klientovsky (EKU) 6-3, 7-5
2. Andrew Carter (LOU) def. Niklas Schroeder (EKU) 6-1, 6-3
3. Albert Wagner (LOU) def. Philip Janz (EKU) 6-0, 6-4
4. Robert Hall (LOU) def. Parul Verma (EKU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Michael Lippens (LOU) def. Joao Maio(EKU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Luis Elizondo (LOU) def. Emilio Piriz (EKU) 6-2, 6-1
1. Klientovsky / Carles Pons (EKU) def. Carter/ Wagner (LOU) 9-7
2. Schroeder /Janz (EKU) def. Stiefelmeyer/ Hall (LOU) 8-6
3. Sumit Gupta/Adam Donaldson (LOU) def. Verma/ Jan Dombrowski (EKU) 8-3
Eastern Kentucky 14-8
Louisville 14-8; National ranking #35
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,4,3,2,6,1)