April 4, 2014
Box Score |
The University of Louisville men's tennis team fell 4-2 to the Memphis Tigers Friday afternoon at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
"I give credit to Memphis," said UofL head coach Rex Ecarma. "That's a very experienced team that advanced to the Sweet 16 in the NCAA tournament last year. They really weathered our storm. I thought we could have won that No 3 doubles, but they edged us out there. They won three out of the five completed matches - and quite a few of those were close. I think their experience from last year definitely benefited them today."
The Tigers opened the match by taking the doubles point. Albert Wagner and Chris Simich defeated Connor Glennon and Cedric De Zutter 8-6 at No. 2. Memphis answered at the top seed where No. 8 David O'Hare and Joe Salisbury beat Sebastian Stiefelmeyer and Van Damrongsri 8-3. The first point came down to court three where Alex Gornet and Jeff Brown fell to Johnny Grimal and Ian Chadwell 8-6.
In singles action, Van Damrongsri won the Cards' first point at No. 6 with a 6-3, 6-0 win over David OHare to even the score at 1-1. The Tigers answered on court five where Ian Chadwell defeated Michael Lippens6-3, 6-2. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer's 6-4, 6-2 win over No. 51 David O'Hare at No. 1 tied the score again. The Tigers pulled ahead once again when David O'Leary beat Chris Simich at 6-3, 6-4 at the three-spot. The match was decided on court two where No. 118 Joe Salisbury defeated Albert Wagner 7-6 (7-5), 6-2.
The matchup on court four between Alex Gornet and Johnny Grimal's match was abandoned with Gornet leading 7-6 (7-5), 2-1.
The Cardinals (15-6) will play host to VCU on Sunday at 2 p.m. at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. Sunday's promotions include: Rally's coupons for all in attendance, UofL's Go Green Initiative and a shoe drive.
#31 University of Memphis 4, #35 Louisville 2
Apr 4, 2014 at Louisville, Ky.
Bass-Rudd Tennis Center
1. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (LOU) def. #51 Connor Glennon (MEMPHIS) 6-4, 6-2
2. Joe Salisbury (MEMPHIS) def. Albert Wagner (LOU) 7-6, 6-2
3. David O'Leary (MEMPHIS) def. Chris Simich (LOU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Johnny Grimal (MEMPHIS) def. Alex Gornet (LOU) 7-6, 2-1
5. Ian Chadwell (MEMPHIS) def. Michael Lippens (LOU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Van Damrongsri (LOU) def. David O'Hare (MEMPHIS) 6-3, 6-0
1. David O'Hare/Joe Salisbury (MEMPHIS) def. Seb Stiefelmeyer/Van Damrongsri (LOU) 8-3
2. Albert Wagner/Chris Simich (LOU) def. Connor Glennon/Cedric De Zutter (MEMPHIS) 8-6
3. Johnny Grimal/Ian Chadwell (MEMPHIS) def. Alex Gornet/Jeffrey Brown (LOU) 8-6
University of Memphis 10-4; National ranking #31
Louisville 15-6; National ranking #35
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,5,1,3,2)