March 28, 2012
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - -
Freshman Luis Elizondo's three-set win at No. 6 clinched the University of Louisville men's tennis team's 4-3 win over host No. 23 Indiana Wednesday evening. The Cards improve to 13-8, while the Hoosiers drop to 14-5 on the season.
"We finally brought our `A' game on the road today," said U of L head coach Rex Ecarma. "We have only lost one match at home this year, but we've struggled on the road. We lost the doubles point in which we won on court two and broke serve three times at the number one court. Lippens did a great job at tying the match and Hall put us up briefly - he's really heating up at the right time. We got down 2-3 and Sebastian was down a break in the third. But in that type of climate, heroes are born - and we had two of them today in Sebastian and Luis. They played so gutsy and I am so proud of them."
The Hoosiers opened the match by taking the doubles point. The freshman duo of Luis Elizondo and Michael Lippens fell 8-4 to Will Kendall and Stephen Vogl at No. 3. Senior Andrew Carter and freshman Albert Wagner, No. 64 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association doubles rankings, lost 8-6 to No. 66 Isade Juneau and Jeremy Langer at the top seed. On court two, senior Robert Hall and freshman Sebastian Steifelmeyer teamed to edge Josh MacTaggart and Alastair Barnes 9-8.
Lippens evened the score at No. 5 singles with a 6-3, 6-0 win over Dimitrije Tasic. Hall put the Cards up 2-1 by defeating Vogl 7-5, 7-5 at the four-spot. The Hoosiers answered at the top seed where Juneau defeated Carter 6-4, 6-3 to tie the match at 2-2.
On court four, Wagner defeated Langer 6-3 in the first set, but fell 6-1, 6-2 in the next two sets to give the Hoosiers a 3-2 lead.
Steifelmeyer tied the score with a 6-4, 1-6, 7-5 victory over MacTaggart at No. 2.
The match came down to court No 6 where Elizondo rallied lost 6-2 in the first set, but rallied for a 6-4, 6-3 win to clinch the match.
Louisville 4 - Indiana 3
Mar 28, 2012 at Bloomington, Ind.
(IU Varsity Courts)
#45 Louisville 4, #23 Indiana 3
1. Isade Juneau (IND-M) def. Andrew Carter (LOU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Sebastian Steifelmayer (LOU) def. Josh MacTaggart (IND-M) 6-4, 1-6, 7-5
3. Jeremy Langer (IND-M) def. Albert Wagner (LOU) 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
4. Robert Hall (LOU) def. Stephen Vogl (IND-M) 7-5, 7-5
5. Michael Lippens (LOU) def. Dimitrije Tasic (IND-M) 6-3, 6-0
6. Luis Elizondo (LOU) def. Will Kendall (IND-M) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
1. #66 Isade Juneau/Jeremy Langer (IND-M) def. #64 Andrew Carter/Albert Wagner (LOU) 8-6
2. Robert Hall/Sebastian Steifelmayer (LOU) def. Josh MacTaggart/Alastair Barnes (IND-M) 9-8 (7-3)
3. Will Kendall/Stephen Vogl (IND-M) def. Luis Elizondo/Michael Lippens (LOU) 8-4
Louisville 13-8; National ranking #45
Indiana 14-5, 2-1; National ranking #23
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,4,1,3,2,6)