March 21, 2012
Box Score |
Coach Ecarma Interview
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The University of Louisville men's tennis team defeated Murray State 7-0 Wednesday afternoon at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
"The focus today was to dictate the match," said U of L head coach Rex Ecarma. "We really wanted to take control and let the match be in our racquets, I think that's what we did today. Every single court, the guys really stuck to the game plan to be aggressive and grab control of the match. We learned a lot from our road losses and realized it's tough to play defense against good teams, so we're just going to try to play offense."
The Cards swept double to take the first point of the match. Senior Robert Hall and freshman Sebastian Stiefelmeyer cruised to an 8-0 win over Jose Berardo and Tyler Jeffers at the two-spot. Senior Andrew Carter and freshman Albert Wagner, No. 55 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association doubles rankings, clinched the point with an 8-4 victory over Arthur Valle and Daniel Heible at No. 1. On court three, sophomore Amaury Derognat and freshman Michael Lippens topped Max McLean and Aleks Mitric 8-2.
In singles action, Hall quickly put the Cards up 2-0 with a 6-0, 6-0 win over Dylan Gerlach at No. 5. Lippens added another point on court four with a 6-2, 6-0 win over Jeffers. Wagner's 6-1, 6-0 victory over McLean at No. 3 clinched the win. Stiefelmeyer topped Valle 6-2, 6-0 at the top seed to give Louisville a 5-0 lead. On court six, Elizondo rallied from a 4-0 deficit to beat Mitric 7-5 in the first set and rolled to a 6-2 win in the second to close out the match.
Tennis Match Results
#43 Louisville 7, Murray State 0
Mar 21, 2012 at Bass-Rudd Tennis Center
1. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (UL) d. Arthur Valle (MUR) 6-2, 6-0
2. Andrew Carter (UL) d. Daniel Heibel (MUR) 6-3, 6-1
3. Albert Wagner (UL) d. Max McLean (MUR) 6-1, 6-0
4. Michael Lippens (UL) d. Tyler Jeffers (MUR) 6-2, 6-0
5. Robert Hall (UL) d. Dylan Gerlach(MUR) 6-0, 6-0
6. Luis Elizondo (UL) d. Aleks Mitric (MUR) 7-5, 6-2
Order of finish: 5,4,3,1,2,6
1. #55 Andrew Carter/Albert Wagner (UL) d. Arthur Valle/ Daniel Heible (MUR) 8-4
2. Robert Hall/Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (UL) d. Jose Berardo/Tyler Jeffers (MUR) 8-0
3. Amaury Derognat/Michael Lippens (UL) d. Max McLean/ Aleks Mitric (MUR) 8-2
Order of finish: 2,3,1
Murray State 3-7
Louisville 11-8; National ranking #43