March 15, 2014
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The University of Louisville men's tennis team defeated Michigan State 7-0 Saturday afternoon at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. The Cardinals improve to 13-4 on the season.
"This was a great result in our first outdoor match at home," said UofL head coach Rex Ecarma. "We've played five matches in nine days and have won all five. Some of those matches were on the road and it was a grind - we went all the way to Arizona to win one of those. This team is very coachable, very hard working, playing through pain, playing through fatigue, and we were better in our fifth match than we were in our first."
The Cardinals took the doubles point to start the match. Alex Gornet and Jeff Brown defeated Aaron Pfister and Brett Forman 8-4 at No. 3 and Albert Wagner and Chris Simich also won 8-4 against Gijs Linders and Harry Jadum at No. 2 to clinch the doubles point for the Cards. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer and Van Damrongsri closed out doubles action with an 8-4 victory over Drew Lied and John Patrick Mullane at No. 1.
In singles action, Wagner won the Cards' second point at No. 2 against Aaron Pfister 6-1, 6-1. Van Damrongsri defeated Mac Roy 6-0, 6-2 at No. 6 to bring Louisville up 3-0. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer secured the win for the Cards at No. 1 with a 6-2, 6-0 decision over Drew Lied. Chris Simich defeated John Patrick Mullane 6-2, 6-3 at No. 3and Alex Gornet won 6-3, 6-3 against Brett Forman on court four. Michael Lippens topped Gijs Linders 6-3, 6-2 to end the match.
#32 Louisville 7, Michigan State 0
Mar 15, 2014 at Louisville, Ky.
(Bass-Rudd Tennis Center)
1. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (LOU) def. Drew Lied (MICHST) 6-2, 6-0
2. Albert Wagner (LOU) def. Aaron Pfister (MICHST) 6-1, 6-1
3. Chris Simich (LOU) def. John Patrick Mullane (MICHST) 6-2, 6-3
4. Alex Gornet (LOU) def. Brett Forman (MICHST) 6-3, 6-3
5. Michael Lippens (LOU) def. Gijs Linders (MICHST) 6-3, 6-2
6. Van Damrongsri (LOU) def. Mac Roy (MICHST) 6-0, 6-2
1. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer/Van Damrongsri (LOU) def. Drew Lied/John Patrick Mullane (MICHST) 8-4
2. Albert Wagner/Chris Simich (LOU) def. Gijs Linders/Harry Jadun (MICHST) 8-4
3. Alex Gornet/Jeffrey Brown (LOU) def. Aaron Pfister/Brett Forman (MICHST) 8-4
Michigan State 6-8
Louisville 13-4; National ranking #32
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,6,1,3,4,5)