March 10, 2014
TUCSON, Ariz. - The University of Louisville men's tennis team defeated host Arizona 7-0 Monday afternoon to improve to 11-4 on the season.
"Defeating a team from America's top tennis conference is very difficult, but to do it on the road is extremely difficult," said UofL head coach Rex Ecarma. "Being our first match outdoors and playing here in the hot sun, wind in a desert like climate showed the growth in mental toughness in this team. To win 7-0 is almost shocking but they played inspired. Sebastian clinched the match in singles and doubles ,but every player was involved with the win. The scenery of the cacti, mountains, blue sky was beautiful but seeing this team compete today was just as magnificent."
The Cardinals took the doubles point to start the match. Juniors Albert Wagner and Chris Simich teamed to beat Matt Dunn and Mario Urquidi 8-7(7-3) on court two. Arizona's Kieren Thompson and Trevor evened the doubles wins with an 8-6 victory over Louisville sophomores Alex Gornet and Jeffrey Brown 8-6. The first point of the match came down to the top seed, where juniors Sebastian Stiefelmeyer and Van Damrongsri bested Naoki Takeda and Sumeet Shinde 8-5.
In singles action, junior Luis Elizondo quickly added to the Cards' lead with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Dunn at the No. 5 spot. Junior Michael Lippens increased the score to 3-0 by beating Trevor James 6-2, 7-5 at No. 6. Stiefelmeyer sealed the win with a 7-5, 7-5 decision over Shinde on court two. Simich continued the string of singles wins with a three-set thriller Urquidi 6-2, 3-6, 7-5 at the four-spot. Wagner prevailed in another three set victory, defeating Thompson 3-6, 6-3, 7-5 at No. 1. Gornet defeated Takeda 2-6, 6-3, 6-4 at No. 3 to wrap up the match.
#29 University of Louisville 7, Arizona 0
Mar 10, 2014 at Tucson, Ariz.
(LaNelle Robson Tennis Center)
1. Albert Wagner (UL) def. Kieren Thompson (ARIZ) 3-6, 6-3, 7-5
2. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (UL) def. Sumeet Shinde (ARIZ) 7-5, 7-5
3. Alex Gornet (UL) def. Naoki Takeda (ARIZ) 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Chris Simich (UL) def. Mario Urquidi (ARIZ) 6-2, 3-6, 7-5
5. Luis Elizondo (UL) def. Matt Dunn (ARIZ) 6-1, 6-0
6. Michael Lippens (UL) def. Trevor James (ARIZ) 6-2, 7-5
Order of finish: 5,6,2,4,1
1. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer/Van Damrongsri (UL) def. Naoki Takeda/Sumeet Shinde (ARIZ) 8-5
2. Albert Wagner/Chris Simich (UL) def. Matt Dunn/Mario Urquidi (ARIZ) 8-7 (7-3)
3. Kieren Thompson/Trevor James (ARIZ) def. Alex Gornet/Jeffrey Brown (UL) 8-6
Order of finish: 2,3,1
University of Louisville 11-4; National ranking #29