March 8, 2013
Box Score |
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The University of Louisville men's tennis team fell 6-1 to No. 6 ranked Oklahoma Friday evening at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
"We had chances to win four points today," said U of L head coach Rex Ecarma. "Alex, Luis, and Chris all lost in three close sets. Sebastian defeated a former top 10 player on No. 1 singles. We have some good parts of our lineup but we need a couple more pieces to develop."
Oklahoma took the doubles point to start the match. Albert Wagner and Austin Siegel fell 8-1 to No. 52 ranked duet, Costin Paval and Dane Webb at No. 1. At No. 3, Alex Gornet and Michael Lippins lost to Peerakit Siributwong and Lawrence Formentera 8-3 to decide the first point. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer and Van Damrongsri teamed to beat the No. 42 ranked duo Guillermo Alcorta and Axel Alvarez Llamas 8-6 at No. 2.
In singles, Oklahoma pulled ahead 2-0 at No. 2 where Albert Wagner fell to the No. 61 ranked Guillermo Alcorta, 6-3, 6-0. Dane Webb gave the Sooners a 3-0 lead when defeated Michael Lippins, 6-2, 6-3 at the three-spot.
The Cards picked up one point when No. 101 Stiefelmeyer forced a third set to defeat the No. 39 ranked Costin Paval, 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 at No. 1.
On court No. 6, Luis Elizando defeated Peerakit Siributwong 6-2 in the first set, but fell 6-1, 6-2 as the Sooners clinched the math. At No. 4, Chris Simich rebounded from a 6-2 first set loss to Axel Alvarez Llamas for 6-4 win in the second. Llamas came back to win the third 6-2 to make the score 5-1.
The No. 5 spot featured another battle Alex Gornet fell 7-6 to Leonard Stakhovsky, but came back to win the second 6-3, forcing a tie breaker. The tie breaker was decided when Stakhovsky defeated Gornet 10-7.
#6 University of Oklahoma 6, #41 Louisville 1
Mar 08, 2013 at (Bass-Rudd Tennis Center)
1. #101 Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (LOU-MT) def. #39 Costin Paval (OKLA) 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
2. #61 Guillermo Alcorta (OKLA) def. Albert Wagner (LOU-MT) 6-3, 6-0
3. Dane Webb (OKLA) def. Michael Lippens (LOU-MT) 6-2, 6-3
4. Axel Alvarez Llamas (OKLA) def. Chris Simich (LOU-MT) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
5. Leonard Stakhovsky (OKLA) def. Alex Gornet (LOU-MT) 7-6, 3-6, 10-7
6. Peerakit Siributwong (OKLA) def. Luis Elizondo (LOU-MT) 6-2, 1-6, 6-2
1. #52 Costin Paval/Dane Webb (OKLA) def. Albert Wagner/Austin Siegel (LOU-MT) 8-1
2. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer/Van Damrongsri (LOU-MT) def. #42 Guillermo Alcorta/Axel Alvarez Llamas (OKLA) 8-6
3. Peerakit Siributwong/Lawrence Formentera (OKLA) def. Alex Gornet/Michael Lippens (LOU-MT) 8-3
University of Oklahoma 10-3; National ranking #6
Louisville 9-8; National ranking #41
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,3,1,6,4,5)