Feb. 28, 2014
Box Score |
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The University of Louisville men's tennis team upset No. 23 Northwestern 5-2 Friday evening at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
"Today's match was really exciting in the sense that last year Northwestern beat us really bad at their place," said UofL head coach Rex Ecarma. "They are better this year than they were last year. Tonight felt like affirmation that our team has a lot of potential to be very good."
The Cardinals took the first point of the match by claiming doubles wins at Nos 2 and 3. Northwestern struck first at the No.1 spot where the 21st ranked pair of Mihir Kumar and Raleigh Smith defeated Louisville's Sebastian Stiefelmeyer and Van Damrongsri 8-0. The Cards answered at No. 3 when Alex Gornet and Jeffrey Brown beat Fedor Baev and Strong Kirchheirmer 8-6. The doubles point came down to court two where Albert Wagner and Chris Simich outlasted Alp Horoz and Sam Shropshire 8-7 to put Louisville ahead 1-0.
In singles actions, Van Damrongsri took on Alex Pasareanu at No. 5 and came out with a 6-2, 6-3 victory to put the Cards up 2-0. The Wildcats responded at No. 1 where No. 44 Raleigh Smith defeated Stiefelmeyer fell 6-4, 6-1 to make the score 2-1. Chris Simich picked up a 6-3, 6-4 win over Mihir Kumar at No. 3 to increase the Louisville lead to 3-1. Alex Gornet clinched the win for the Cards with a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Strong Kirchheimer on court four. Michael Lippens registered a 6-2, 7-5 decision over Alp Horoz at No. 6. Albert Wagner fell to No. 85 Sam Shropshire at No. 2 singles 4-6, 7-5, (10-4) to bring the final score to 5-2.
"I just felt our tennis team was a good team, but we didn't have a showcase win," said Ecarma. "It kind of reminded me of the men's basketball team in a small sense. They had a pretty good ranking, but didn't have that top 25 win until they went to Cincinnati and got a really good win. I felt for us this win was that to have a signature top 25 win."
UofL (8-3) will travel to Norman, Okla., to face the third-ranked Sooners on March 2.
#38 Louisville 5, #23 Northwestern 2
Feb 28, 2014 at Louisville, Ky.
(Bass-Rudd Tennis Center)
1. #44 Raleigh Smith (NW) def. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (LOU-MT) 6-4, 6-1
2. #85 Sam Shropshire (NW) def. Albert Wagner (LOU-MT) 4-6, 7-5, 1-0
3. Chris Simich (LOU-MT) def. Mihir Kumar (NW) 6-3, 6-4
4. Alex Gornet (LOU-MT) def. Strong Kirchheimer (NW) 6-3, 6-3
5. Van Damrongsri (LOU-MT) def. Alex Pasareanu (NW) 6-2, 6-3
6. Michael Lippens (LOU-MT) def. Alp Horoz (NW) 6-2, 7-5
Order of finish: Doubles: Singles (5,1,3,4,6,2)
1. #21 Mihir Kumar/Raleigh Smith (NW) def. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer/Van Damrongsri (LOU-MT) 8-0
2. Albert Wagner/Chris Simich (LOU-MT) def. Alp Horoz/Sam Shropshire (NW) 8-7
3. Alex Gornet/Jeffrey Brown (LOU-MT) def. Fedor Baev/Strong Kirchheimer (NW) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2)
Northwestern 10-5; National ranking #23
Louisville 8-3; National ranking #38
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,1,3,4,6,2)