Feb. 25, 2012
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - -
The 34th ranked University of Louisville men's tennis team defeated No. 41 Wake Forest 4-3 Friday evening at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. The Cardinals improve to 8-4 while the Demon Deacons drop to 8-5 on the season.
"When we were up 3-1, Wake made a strong push, it reminded me of our last home match with them - being up 3-0 and losing, so we were really happy to see Albert clinch that match," said U of L head coach Rex Ecarma. "Albert is on fire right now and his confidence is high. He and Andrew have a six-match winning streak. I am also pleased with Sebastian who won at No. 1 singles and No. 2 doubles. These guys carried us today and it was a good start as we play seven ranked teams in a row."
The Cards opened the match by winning a very competitive doubles point. Adam Lee and Danny Kreyman defeated freshman Michael Lippens and sophomore Amaury Derognat 8-2 at No. 3. Louisville's Sebastian Stiefelmeyer and Robert Hall teamed to beat Sam Wells and Conner Sherwood 8-5 at the two-spot while the 35th ranked duo of senior Andrew Carter and freshman Albert Wagner beat Wake's David Hopkins and Amogh Prabhakar 8-2 to clinch the first point.
In singles action, Stiefelmeyer quickly pulled the Cards ahead with a 6-3, 6-1 victory at the top seed. Wake answered on court three where Prabhakar defeated Lippens 6-4, 6-2. Simich's 6-2, 6-1 win over Sherwood at the five-spot gave Louisville 3-1 lead.
The Demon Deacons pulled within one on court No. 6 where Alex Tsai topped freshman Luis Elizondo 6-3, 6-4. Wagner's 6-0, 6-4 win over Adam Lee at No. 4 clinched the win for the Cardinals.
The match ended on court No. 2 where Wake's No. 118 Danny Kreyman defeated Carter 5-7, 6-0, 1-0 (10-8).
#34 Louisville 4, #41 Wake Forest 3
Feb 25, 2012 at Bass-Rudd Tennis Center
1. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (UL) def. David Hopkins (WF) 6-3, 6-1
2. #118 Danny Kreyman (WF) def. Andrew Carter (UL) 5-7, 6-0, 1-0 (10-8)
3. Amogh Prabhakar (WF) def. Michael Lippens (UL) 6-4, 6-2
4. Albert Wagner (UL) def. Adam Lee (WF) 6-0, 6-4
5. Chris Simich (UL) def. Conner Sherwood (WF) 6-2, 6-1
6. Alex Tsai (WF) def. Luis Elizondo (UL) 6-3, 6-4
1. #35 Andrew Carter/Albert Wagner (UL) def. David Hopkins/Amogh Prabhakar (WF) 8-5
2. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer/Robert Hall (UL) def. Sam Wells/Conner Sherwood (WF) 8-5
3. Adam Lee/Danny Kreyman (WF) def. Michael Lippens/Amaury Derognat (UL) 8-2
Wake Forest 8-5; National ranking #41
Louisville 8-4; National ranking #34
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,3,5,6,4,2)