Feb. 23, 2014
The University of Louisville men's tennis team fell 5-2 to No. 20 Wake Forest Sunday afternoon at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
"Wake won the all-important doubles point which helped them get that 3-1 lead," said UofL head coach Rex Ecarma. "Sebastian Stiefelmeyer and Van Damrongsri did a great job for the third win in a row against quality opponents but did not get enough help from their teammates. Michael Lippens is now 13-1 this semester and Albert Wagner dominated his opponent. Chris Simich was ahead the entire second set on court four but did not close it out. Nos. 1, 3 and 5 singles from Wake were all outstanding."
In doubles action Sebastian Stiefelmeyer and Van Damrongsri defeated Jon Ho and Sam Bloom 8-3 at No. 2. Albert Wagner and Chris Simich fell 8-3 to the 21st ranked duo of Romain Bogaerts and Maksim Kan at the top seed. The first point of the match came down to court three where Alex Gornet and Jeffrey Brown fell 8-6 to Aws Laarribi and Anthony Delcore.
In singles action, the Cards quickly evened the score when Michael Lippens defeated Pedro Dumont 6-3, 6-1 at No. 6. Wake answered at the five-spot where Laaribi beat Luis Elizondo 6-0, 6-2. The Demon Deacons added another point when No. 40 Romain Bogaerts defeated Stiefelmeyer 6-2, 6-3 at No. 1. Louisville pulled within a point when Wagner claimed a 6-4, 6-3 victory over Adam Lee at the two-spot. Jon Ho clinched the match for Wake Forest with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Alex Gornet at No. 3. No. 58 Maksim Kan defeated Chris Simich 6-3, 7-6 (7-5) on court four for the final point of the match.
The Cardinals (7-3) are back in action on Friday, Feb. 28 when they play host to Northwestern at 4 p.m. at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
#20 Wake Forest 5, #48 Louisville 2
Feb 23, 2014 at Louisville, Ky.
Bass-Rudd Tennis Center
1. #40 Romain Bogaerts (WF) def. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (LOU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Albert Wagner (LOU) def. #42 Adam Lee (WF) 6-4, 6-3
3. Jon Ho (WF) def. Alex Gornet (LOU) 6-3, 6-3
4. #58 Maksim Kan (WF) def. Chris Simich (LOU) 6-3, 7-6
5. Aws Laaribi (WF) def. Luis Elizondo (LOU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Michael Lippens (LOU) def. Pedro Dumont (WF) 6-3, 6-1
Order of finish: 6,5,1,2,3,4
1. #21 Romain Bogaerts/Maksim Kan (WF) def. Albert Wagner/Chris Simich (LOU) 8-3
2. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer/Van Damrongsri (LOU) def. Jon Ho/Sam Bloom (WF) 8-3
3. Aws Laaribi/Anthony Delcore (WF) def. Alex Gornet/Jeffrey Brown (LOU) 8-6
Order of finish: 2,1,3
Wake Forest 7-2; National ranking #20
Louisville 7-3; National ranking #48
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,5,1,2,3,4)