Feb. 18, 2012
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - -
The No. 35 University of Louisville men's tennis team defeated Belmont 6-1 Saturday afternoon at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. The Cards will face Tennessee Tech at 5 p.m.
"I am really pleased with the confidence we showed today, especially in doubles," said head coach Rex Ecarma. "We had been tentative in doubles lately, so it was good to see us play with an expectation to win. The MVP for this match was Robert Hall."
The Cards opened the day with a doubles sweep to take the first point of the match. Senior Robert Hall and freshman Sebastian Stiefelmeyer teamed to beat Rodrigo Amaral and Fernando Mussolini 8-2 at the two-spot. At the top seed, senior Andrew Carter and freshman Albert Wagner, No. 35 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association doubles rankings, topped Renato Antun and Rafael Matos 8-5 to clinch the point. Freshman Van Damrongsri and sophomore Amaury Derognat completed the sweep with an 8-4 win over Henrique Norbiato and Bruno Silva.
The Cards went on to pick up five singles wins - all in straight sets. Hall quickly extended the lead to 2-0 by beating Silva 6-0, 6-4 on court six. At No. 2, freshman Luis Elizondo defeated Matos 6-2 in the first set before Matos retired to make the overall score 3-0. Wagner beat Mussolini 6-2, 6-1 at the four-spot to clinch the win. Freshman Michael Lippens topped Amaral 6-3, 6-3 at No. 2 while freshman Chris Simich topped Norbiato 6-2, 6-2 at the four-seed.
Antun defeated Carter 6-4, 6-2 at No. 1 for Belmont's lone point in the match.
No. 35 University of Louisville 6, Belmont 1
Feb 18, 2012 at Louisville, Ky.
(Bass Rudd Tennis Center)
1. Renato Antun (BEL) def. Andrew Carter (LOU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Michael Lippens (LOU) def. Rodrigo Amaral (BEL) 6-3, 6-3
3. Albert Wagner (LOU) def. Fernando Mussolini (BEL) 6-2, 6-1
4. Chris Simich (LOU) def. Henrique Norbiato (BEL) 6-2, 6-2
5. Luis Elizondo (LOU) def. Rafael Matos (BEL) 6-2, retired
6. Robert Hall (LOU) def. Bruno Silva (BEL) 6-0, 6-4
Order of finish: 6,5,3,2,4,1
1. #35 Andrew Carter/Albert Wagner (LOU) def. Renato Antun/Rafael Matos (BEL) 8-5
2. Robert Hall/Seb. Stiefelmeyer (LOU) def. Rodrigo Amaral/Fernando Mussolini (BEL) 8-2
3. Van Damrongsri/Amaury Derognat (LOU) def. Henrique Norbiato/Bruno Silva (BEL) 8-4
Order of finish: 2,1,3