Feb. 15, 2013
Final Stats |
LOUISVILLE, Ky., - The University of Louisville's men's tennis team swept Wright State 7-0 on Friday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center in the first match of a double header.
"I'm really pleased with the team in the sense that, we beat a team that almost upset Michigan State and Michigan State is one of the hottest teams in the country," Said UofL Head Coach Rex Ecarma. "We won without Albert (Wagner), we won without Alex (Gornet) in singles and doubles, and we won without Luis (Elizondo) in singles. So we really had half of our starting lineup out. I'm just really pleased with our depth and I always knew we were deep and today affirms that. Really proud of the entire team and everbody involved in today's win."
The 35th ranked Cards opened the day by taking the doubles point, winning two of the doubles matches. Sophomores Van Damrongsri and Sebastian Stiefelmeyer struck first with an 8-2 win over Wright State's Hayden Joblin and Jamison Clark at the top seed. The No. 2 pair of sophomore Luis Elizondo and freshman Jeffrey Brown defeated Michal Lyzwa and Lauri Makikalli 8-5 to clinch the point for the Cards.
The Cards swept the singles points in straight sets. Sophomore Van Damrongsri quickly gave Louisville a 2-0 lead with a 6-1, 6-3 win over Jamison Clark at the five spot. Sophomore Sebastian Stiefelmeyer followed with a 6-3, 6-0 win over Lauri Makikalli at No. 1. Sophomore Chris Simich's 6-2, 6-1 win over Hayden Joblin at No. 2 clinched the match for the Cards. Freshman Jeffrey Brown bumped the score to 5-0 with a 7-5, 6-1 win over Dan Hyman at the six spot and sophomore Austin Siegel added another point defeating Michal Lyzwa 6-3, 6-4 at No. 4. Michael Lippens wrapped up the match on court three where he beat Ricardo Pineda 6-2, 6-1.
The Cards are back in action this evening taking on Eastern Kentucky University at 6 p.m. at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
#35 Louisville 7, Wright State 0
Feb 15, 2013 at Louisville, Ky
Bass-Rudd Tennis Center
1. #115 Seb Stiefelmeyer (LOU) def. Lauri Makikalli (WSU) 6-3, 6-0
2. Chris Simich (LOU) def. Hayden Joblin (WSU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Michael Lippens (LOU) def. Ricardo Pineda (WSU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Austin Siegel (LOU) def. Michal Lyzwa (WSU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Van Damrongsri (LOU) def. Jamison Clark (WSU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Jeffrey Brown (LOU) def. Dan Hyman (WSU) 7-5, 6-1
1. Seb Stiefelmeyer/Van Damrongsri (LOU) def. Hayden Joblin/Jamison Clark (WSU) 8-2
2. Luis Elizondo/Jeffrey Brown (LOU) def. Michal Lyzwa/Lauri Makikalli (WSU) 8-5
3. Michael Lippens/Amaury Derognat (LOU) def. Evan Neuman/Myles Harris (WSU) 4-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2)