MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. - The University of Louisville fell 4-3 to host Minnesota Friday evening.
"Even after we drop the doubles point, we bounced back winning five of six first sets," said U of L head coach Rex Ecarma. "Albert lost at No. 2 which put us down 0-2, but we came back with some thunder winning Nos. 1, 3 and 4 and got up 3-2. Alex is at 7-6 5-5, and Van is up 4-1 in the third set. Alex loses the second set and Van loses his match so it is 3-3. Alex goes up 5-4 and up love -30 (two points from match) but lost 5-7 and we lose 3-4 in a four hour and 30 minute match."
Minnesota took the doubles point to start the match. Jack Hamburg and Brendan Ruddock defeated Sebastian Stiefelmeyer and Van Damrongsri 8-4 at No. 2 while Eric Frueh and Leandro Toledo beat Luis Elizondo and Jeffrey Brown 8-6 at the three-spot.
In singles action, Rok Bonin topped Albert Wagner 6-0, 6-3 at No. 2 to give the Golden Gophers a 2-0 lead. Cardinal sophomore Luis Elizondo put the Cards on the scoreboard with a 6-4, 7-6 win over Hamburg. Stiefelmeyer defeated Toledo 7-6, 6-3 at the top seed to tie the match at 2-2.
Minnesota regained the lead at the six spot where Ruben Weber edged sophomore Van Damrongsri 2-6, 6-2, 7-5. The Cards responded when sophomore Chris Simich defeated Mathieu Froment 7-6, 6-3 at the three-spot.
The match came down to court five where freshman Alex Gornet
and Minnesota's Brendan Ruddock battled with Elizondo taking the first set 7-6(3), but Ruddock won the next two by scores of 7-5 each set.
Louisville (4-5) will face Boise State Sunday.
Minnesota 4, Louisville 3
Feb. 8, 2013
Baseline Tennis Center
1. Bonin/Froment (MINN) tied Wagner/Gornet (UL), 6-6 unfinished
2. Hamburg/Ruddock (MINN) def. Stiefelmeyer/Damrongsri (UL), 8-4
3. Frueh/Toledo (MINN) def. Elizondo/Brown (UL), 8-6
Order of Finish
Doubles: 2, 3
1. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (UL) def. Leandro Toledo (MINN), 7-6, 6-3
2. Rok Bonin (MINN) def. Albert Wagner (UL), 6-0, 6-3
3. Chris Simich (UL) def. Mathieu Froment (MINN), 7-6, 6-3
4. Luis Elizondo (UL) def. Jack Hamburg (MINN), 6-4, 7-6 (2)
5. Brendan Ruddock (MINN) def. Alex Gornet (UL), 6-7 (3), 7-5, 7-5
6. Ruben Weber (MINN) def. Van Damrongsri (UL), 2-6, 6-2, 7-5
Order of Finish
Singles: 2, 4, 1, 6, 3, 5