Feb. 9, 2012
The No. 35-ranked University of Louisville men's tennis team fell 6-1 to the No. 3-ranked Ohio State Buckeyes Thursday night at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
"That's what a third ranked team in the country and a team that could win the national championship looks like," said head coach Rex Ecarma. "Although the score was 6-1, there were four courts where we had a chance and were in a position to win. But OSU has been in this scenario before. They are a veteran team and they showed us what we need to work on."
In doubles, at No. 1 the duo of Robert Hall and Sebastian Stiefelmeyer fell 8-0 to the #1 ranked doubles team of Chase Buchanan and Blaz Rola. The Buckeyes clinched the doubles point with an 8-3 victory at No. 3 over Michael Lippens and Amaury Derognat. At No. 2 Andrew Carter and Albert Wagner fought hard to pull off an 8-5 upset victory over the #15 ranked doubles team of Devin McCarthy and Ille Van Engelen.
In singles, the Cards fell behind 3-0 after losses at No. 1 with #113 Andrew Carter falling 6-1, 6-0 to #28 Chase Buchanan and at No. 6 with Robert Hall falling 6-2,6-1 to #123 Connor Smith. The Buckeyes clinched the win with a closely contested match at No. 5. #116 Devin McCarthy defeated Chris Simich 6-4,7-6(4). Even with the match clinched, the players continued to battle with the final three matches going into three sets. At No. 2 Cardinal freshman Sebastian Stiefelmeyer fell 6-3,3-6,6-3 to #8 Blaz Rola. At No. 4 Ille Van Engelen defeated other Cardinal freshman Albert Wagner 3-6,6-4,7-6(5). In the last match of the evening Michael Lippens was victorious over Nelson Vick 6-1,5-7, 7-6(4).
The loss snaps a 31-match unbeaten streak at Bass-Rudd Tennis Center dating back to 2009.
The Cardinals return to action at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center this Saturday, February 11, at 5p.m. ET against No. 68 ranked Clemson.
Tennis Match Results
Ohio State vs University of Louisville
Feb 09, 2012 at Louisville, KY
(Bass Rudd Tennis Center)
#3 Ohio State 6, #35 University of Louisville 1
1. #28 Chase Buchanan (OSU) def. #113 Andrew Carter (UOFL) 6-1, 6-0
2. #8 Blaz Rola (OSU) def. Seb Stiefelmeyer (UOFL) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
3. Michael Lippens (UOFL) def. Nelson Vick (OSU) 6-1, 5-7, 7-6
4. Ille Van Engelen (OSU) def. Albert Wagner (UOFL) 3-6, 6-4, 7-6
5. #116 Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. Chris Simich (UOFL) 6-4, 7-6
6. Connor Smith (OSU) def. Robert Hall (UOFL) 6-2, 6-1
1. #1 Blaz Rola/Chase Buchanan (OSU) def. Robert Hall/Seb Stiefelmeyer (UOFL) 8-0
2. Andrew Carter/Albert Wagner (UOFL) def. #15 Ille Van Engelen/Devin McCarthy (OSU) 8-5
3. Connor Smith/Peter Kobelt (OSU) def. Amaury Derognat/Michael Lippens (UOFL) 8-3
Ohio State 7-0; National ranking #3
University of Louisville 4-3; National ranking #35
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,1,5,2,4,3)