Feb. 4, 2012
Box Score |
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - -
The University of Louisville men's tennis team defeated visiting Minnesota 6-1 Saturday evening at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. The win extends the Cards' home winning streak to 32 matches dating back to April 11, 2009.
"Our singles lineup is definitely our strength," said U of L head coach Rex Ecarma. "This team plays more confident and relaxed in singles. I'm proud of them, especially Andrew Carter and Albert Wagner. They played confident all day. We played six freshmen today and won against a team that finished top three in the Big Ten last season and returned most of its starters. This group has a lot of potential and two good leaders in Robert Hall and Andrew Carter. The MVPs of today's match are Carter and Wagner."
Minnesota (1-3) took an early 1-0 lead by winning the doubles point at Nos. 1 and 3. Leandro Toledo and Juan Pablo Ramirez downed freshmen Van Damrongsri and Luis Elizondo 8-3 at the three-spot while 50th ranked Rok Bonin and Julian Dehn edged senior Robert Hall and freshman Sebastian Stiefelmeyer 9-7 at the top seed. On court two, senior Andrew Carter and freshman Albert Wagner teamed to beat Jack Hamburg and Phillip Arndt 8-5.
In singles action, Wagner quickly tied the match with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Dehn at No. 4. Hall pulled the Cards ahead at the five-spot with a 6-4, 6-4 decision over Hamburg. At the top seed, Carter, No. 113 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association, topped Arndt 6-2, 6-1 to give Louisville a 3-1 edge. Stiefelmeyer's 7-6, 7-5 victory at No. 2 sealed the match for the Cardinals.
Freshman Michael Lippens and Bonin battled on court three with Lippens prevailing 7-6, 5-7, 10-8 while Simich capped off the win with a 6-2, 6-7, 6-3 decision over Michael Sicora at No. 5.
U of L (4-3) will play host to No. 3 Ohio State Thursday, Feb. 9 at 4 p.m.
#29 Louisville 6, #36 Minnesota 1
Feb 04, 2012 at Bass-Rudd Tennis Center
1. #113 Andrew Carter (LOU) def. Phillip Arndt (MINN) 6-2, 6-1
2. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (LOU) def. #118 Leandro Toledo (MINN) 7-6, 7-5
3. Michael Lippens (LOU) def. Rok Bonin (MINN) 7-6, 5-7, 10-8
4. Albert Wagner (LOU) def. Julian Dehn (MINN) 6-2, 6-2
5. Chris Simich (LOU) def. Michael Sicora (MINN) 6-2, 6-7, 6-3
6. Robert Hall (LOU) def. Jack Hamburg (MINN) 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 4,6,1,2,3,5
1. #50 Rok Bonin/Julian Dehn (MINN) def. Robert Hall/Seb. Stiefelmeyer (LOU) 9-7
2. Andrew Carter/Albert Wagner (LOU) def. Phillip Arndt/Jack Hamburg (MINN) 8-5
3. Leandro Toledo/Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) def. Van Damrongsri/Luis Elizondo (LOU) 8-3
Order of finish: 3,1,2