Feb. 1, 2013
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - The University of Louisville men's tennis team won the doubles point, but fell 4-2 to host Wake Forest (7-0) Friday evening.
"We got off to a great start with winning the doubles point," said U of L head coach Rex Ecarma. "We were in control on every court. They regained control with wins on Nos. 5, 1 and 4. Van gave us our second point. Chris was gaining control of the match and had an open court volley to win the second set. Al was on his way to winning on No. 2, but the volley was missed and tie-breaker lost and a potential road win against an undefeated team slipped out of our hands. These guys are fighting hard. I believe good things will happen for these boys in the near future."
The Cardinals jumped to a 1-0 lead with doubles wins at Nos. 1 and 3. Freshman Jeffrey Brown and sophomore Luis Elizondo defeated Morgan Mays and Anthony Delcore 8-5 at the three-spot. Sophomore Albert Wagner and freshman Alex Gornet, No. 31 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association doubles rankings clinched the point with an 8-6 victory over David Hopkins and Amogh Prabhakar at the top seed.
In singles, Wake Forest tied the match at No. 5 where Adam Lee beat Gornet 6-0, 6-3. The Demon Deacons took a 2-1 lead with Jon Ho's 6-3, 6-4 win over Luis Elizondo. David Hopkins topped Louisville's 82nd ranked Sebastian Stiefelmeyer 6-2, 6-4 at No. 1 to increase the lead to 3-1.
The Card cut the lead to 3-2 with sophomore Van Damrongsri's
6-4, 6-4 decision over Sam Bloom on court four.
After losing the first set 6-2, Louisville sophomore Chris Simich battled Wake's 90th ranked Danny Kreyman, but fell in a second set tie-breaker 7-6 (12-10) as the Demon Deacons sealed the 4-2 win.
Louisville (3-4) will take on No. 19 North Carolina Saturday at 6 p.m.
#49 Wake Forest 4, #41 Louisville 2
Feb. 1, 2013 at Winston-Salem, N.C.
(Indoor Tennis Center)
1. David Hopkins (WF) def. #82 Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (LOU) 6-2, 6-4
2. #59 Amogh Prabhakar (WF) vs. Albert Wagner (LOU) 6-4, 5-7, 1-2, unfinished
3. #90 Danny Kreyman (WF) def. Chris Simich (LOU) 6-2, 7-6 (12-10)
4. Jon Ho (WF) def. Luis Elizondo (LOU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Adam Lee (WF) def. Alex Gornet (LOU) 6-0, 6-3
6. Van Damrongsri (LOU) def. Sam Bloom (WF) 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 5,4,1,3,6
1. #31 Alex Gornet/Albert Wagner (LOU) def. David Hopkins/Amogh Prabhakar (WF) 8-6
2. Adam Lee/Danny Kreyman (WF) vs. Van Damrongsri/Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (LOU) 7-7 (5-3), unfinished
3. Jeffrey Brown/Luis Elizondo (LOU) def. Morgan Mays/Anthony Delcore (WF) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles: 3,1
Louisville 3-4; National ranking #41
Wake Forest 7-0; National ranking #49